February 4, 2019
The 8 Best Trello Alternatives for Kanban Project Management
Trello is a star when it comes to project management software and collaboration tools. It embodies a neat interface with cards stacked up for different projects. Each card can be opened to view more detail such as checklists, labels and due dates.
While it is favored by companies with the likes of National Geographic, Google and more, it comes without some basic features that might be critical for most teams. Trello works great as a simple to-do list app however it’s limited when it comes to handling bigger and complex projects.
To begin with, Trello does not have built-in Gantt charts. It is considered a necessity for project management by most teams. It can be integrated with external tools to get the job done, but that means additional steps.
Second, it does not come with a meeting management module either. This means you need to switch between tools to set up meetings and to monitor tasks. Third, it does not offer time tracking for tasks either.
For a price of $9.99 per user per month (Premium plan), there are Trello alternatives you can switch to today to get a better value for your investment.
Here is a list of our picks to make the switch easier for you.
The top of the list of your free Trello alternatives is nTask. Although, you might think we hold a bit of bias towards it, if you check out nTask for yourself, you will agree it is rightfully so.
This Trello alternative comes with a spectrum of features that covers all your task and project management needs under one roof.
With multiple modules neatly placed on the left panel of a central dashboard, nTask gives you options to work solo or monitor multiple teams with their dedicated workspaces. It gives you issue and resource management, meeting management, time tracking and Gantt charts other than the basic project management feature set.
All this, at an incredibly low price and an extraordinarily short learning curve.
Check out the following features and modules in nTask:
- Project management including reports, timelines, Gantt charts, progress meter, and project budgeting. Plus, there is an option to create projects and associated tasks or treat tasks independently.
- Task management including task creation, time tracking, assignment, organization, prioritization and sharing tasks with multiple statuses.
- Integration with Slack so you can convert comments to tasks and projects in nTask using Slack and receive updates from nTask in Slack.
- Meeting management module with a multitude of options including recurring or one-time meetings, sending invites, adding agenda, post-meeting actions, and meeting minutes.
- A simple user interface with access to a wide range of modules.
- Team specific workspaces that can be managed and monitored simultaneously for seamless team management.
- Timesheets management module for creating and managing team-specific sections for employee task efforts and payroll.
- Issue management module to facilitate the identification and listing down of issues related to multiple tasks. List down the issue along with the Issue owner and relevant details to track issue maintenance.
- Risk management module for keeping an eye on potential risks. Arrange risks in lists and assign a risk owner in order to track risk management.
- Powerful search and filter tools to search for tasks, projects, meetings, issues, and risks. Plus, make use of the filter option to save more frequent searches.
- Alerts, notifications, and reminders to keep teams on track.
- Two-Factor Authentication for extensive security.
- Third-party access via public links.
- Mobile apps for iOS and Android.
- Kanban Board (Coming Soon!)
nTask offers the following plans:
- Pro pricing plan (start at $1 per month per user with annual billing).
Looking for the perfect Trello alternative?
See for yourself why Trello users are switching to nTask. Create unlimited, tasks, meetings, risks, issue & more.
If Trello is a star, Asana does not lag behind boasting about acquiring millions of customers across 15 countries. This free Trello alternative gives you a wide array of features with a clean view making your life as a project manager easier.
Whether is a small team locally or you are working with remote teams, Asana makes communication and collaboration a breeze. Like Trello, you can place your tasks and other information as cards that can be dragged and dropped.
The timeline makes project monitoring more efficient through moveable tasks with images of the task owners. Plus, communication is simplified with comments, likes, and followers. You can also share files and tag a team member in the comments to get their attention.
Here is a detailed list of Asana’s key features:
- Detailed project management options that include project timeline, Gantt charts, project permissions, Project Sections, Search Views, goal setting, and due dates.
- Comprehensive task management including task tracking, adding assignees, uploading attachments and adding comments to tasks. There are options to show the importance for tasks through ‘hearts’, task dependencies, My Tasks list, and Focus Mode.
- Centralized feed for centralized updates on the workflow and team activities.
- Multiple workspaces for handling multiple teams in parallel Option to view team members’ tasks and priorities.
- Meeting management including agenda, follow up, upcoming, notes, references, meeting minutes, option to share projects with attendees and before meeting discussion
- Real-time updates on tasks and projects.
- Notifications and reminders including automatic updates to the inbox.
- Customize calendars and select from multiple views.
- Admin and other roles creation for projects.
- Email bridge.
- Kanban support.
- Mobile apps for iOS and Android.
Take a pick with Asana’s multiple plans:
- Premium ($ 9.99 per user per month).
- Enterprise (customized).
Bitrix24 is primarily an online tool that can also be installed on-prem as your next Trello alternative. Extremely user-friendly, it helps teams in collaboration, manage tasks and projects, and gives you a CRM module for customer support. With a customizable interface, you can create a layout as per your liking.
Already winning the hearts of 4,000,000+ organizations globally, Bitrix24 is a promising tool, especially for small teams. Make use of comments, instant messages, chats and group discussions or email. Plus, it is easy to keep ahead of your teams by viewing their activities on a centralized news feed.
In addition to basic project management options, it offers a video conferencing option, which is perfect for remote teams. Also, you can save time using their built-in task templates.
Birtix24 comes with the following robust features:
- Task management includes task and subtask creation, time tracking, reminders, reporting, templates, task dependencies and time tracking.
- Project management options include creating projects and workgroups, Kanban boards, Gantt charts, reports and workload management.
- Meeting management including setting meeting topic, agenda, description, date, time, duration, location, attendees, minutes as well as attach files. You can add attendees first, and select meeting assistant from one of them after.
- Extensive options for team collaboration through comments and likes, email, instant messaging, group chat, activity stream, calendars, and workgroups.
- In-depth Human Resources Management system with attendance management, work reports, workflow automation and employee directory.
- Cloud storage and advanced document management system.
- Videoconferencing and Telephony.
- User profiles.
- Photo albums.
- Custom Fields.
- Document management including document search, document sharing and version History maintenance.
- Sales Team Management.
- Custom Access Rights.
- Calendars (Personal and Shared).
- Two-way sync with iOS, Android, Google, Outlook calendars.
- CRM including lead and contact management and invoicing.
- Email Marketing and Sales Automation features.
- Mobile apps for iOS and Android.
Bitirx24 offers the following plans to its customers:
- Plus ($35 for 24 users).
- Standard ($89 for 50 users).
- Professional ($179 for unlimited users).
The fourth position on the list of top Trello alternatives goes to none other than Aceproject. This project management tool reminds us of a lot of nTask due to its vast array of modules. With Aceproject you can manage your tasks, projects, documents, timesheets as well as expenses. This makes it a great project management software especially for startups and small teams.
It has a clean interface for easy collaboration and also offers email updates and notifications. Take your project management game a notch up with Gantt charts, time tracking, and efficient visuals. With so much to offer with a variety of plans to select from, Aceproject is definitely worth a try.
This Trello alternative offers the following set of features and modules:
- Project management including Gantt charts, project and time tracking, project dependencies and in-built templates.
- Task management including task creation, time tracking, organization, recurring tasks, and customized task reports.
- Timesheets management module including time clock, timesheet approvals, and advanced time reports.
- Document management including sharing and storing documents online through drag/drop or simple upload. Maintain document versioning and locking to sustain document originality.
- Expense management including expense type, expense date, amount, code, tracking, approvals and advanced reports with the option of attaching supporting documents.
- Email notifications and updates.
- Customizable dashboard.
- Mobile apps for iOS and Android.
Take a pick with one of the following Aceproject pricing plans:
- Basic (Free).
- Standard ($24 per month).
- Advanced ($49 per month).
- Silver ($99 per month).
- Gold ($199 per month).
Who likes to hear about Monday? Did I just hear a groan? Well, have no fear! Monday.com would for sure make your Monday trouble-free.
Companies like Uber, Adobe, Costco, and Unilever are already making their Mondays, and the rest of the week, more productive. Use Monday’s Kanban tools to plan, organize and track your work.
They have put in elaborate work to jettison some of the typical tools used for task management. This software will be an upgrade as an alternative to Trello. Monday allows you to view your work in more than one form: list view, Kanban board, spreadsheets, and map. It has a powerful integration tool, to let you smoothly work from one resource to another.
You will find that it lacks some of the advanced features that you might require in-depth project management. Monday should be your choice if you want to keep things simple yet versatile.
Here are the features for Monday that might make it worth your penny:
- User-friendly and intuitive interface
- Team projects
- Recruitment tracker
- Client projects
- Agile projects
- Automated workflow
- Activity log
- Available and editable templates
- Quickly add columns, track tasks, time, mark locations, numbers, links and a lot more.
- Invite the team; assign tasks
- All your collaboration in one place
- Basic: $39/ month
- Standard: $49/month
- Professional: $79/month
As the name indicates, this is made to be an ultimate tool for Managers. They’ve built the product in a way that reflects the insight of differences between each team.
They present a project management solution that assists you in taking steps towards being a successful manager. Utilizing this tool you can move forward with confidence. Project managers at Volvo, Ralph Lauren, Bank of America seem to be letting Projectmanager.com be their tool of choice.
It allows for an expansive and in-depth view of the project and monitoring. You can easily track all of the activities to manage and allocate your resources. The internal communication via messages, comments, calls allows for a building of the project.
All this makes it evident that projectmanager.com has all the tools required to run your business, manage your team and reach your goals effectively.
- Gantt charts
- Real-time and customizable dashboards
- Task management
- Get instant Reports
- Timesheet to save up on your time
- Manage your team’s workload
- Multiple project management
- Visualize workflow with Kanban boards.
- “To do”, “doing”, “done” tags
- Easily add attachments
- Collaborate with your team
- Agile team projects
- Personal: $15 per user per month
- Team: $20 per user per month
- Business: $25 per user per month
Another software for project and task management that lets you breeze through your work.
Breeze is a software that is keenly used by many individuals, entrepreneurs, startups and big companies. With a minimal price, it has significant features to offer. If you are one of those people who love starting his/her day with a few words to perk you up then breeze is for you! They have inspirational words to make you the most productive of the managers.
The majority of the people who use Breeze prefer it for the wide range of features it offers for a minimal price. Breeze brings to you the best of what it has to offer.
So it can be an awesome upgrade for your work if you are looking for all-in-one software. Collect all your tasks in one place with Breeze so you can envision the bigger picture for your project.
- Upload and set statuses to show what you are up to.
- Assign colors to the tasks to make them stand out
- Custom fields to add detail to the assigned task
- Swimlanes: the horizontal arrangement of tasks
- To-do lists
- Estimates and budgets
- Time tracking
- Tools for communication
- Attach files and documents
- Files and documents
- Sharing of a project with clients
- Calendar view and resource management
- iOS and Android apps
- Freelancer: $29 per month for up to 5 users
- Small business: $59 per month for up to 12 users
- Larger team: $129 per month for up to 30 users
- Enterprise: $249 per month for up to 60 users
Are you looking for a sophisticated tool for the agile team you are running? Kanbanize can your software that assists you in managing, organizing and tracking your agile projects.
They have added a flexible workflow so you can optimize your work to get the most out of it. Their Kanban tool helps you to have transparency you ask. How? They have a portfolio style that allows you to view all of your work in one place in its hierarchy.
- An easy to modify Kanban Boards
- Visual workflow
- Define custom roles in the work
- Reminders and follow-ups
- Kanban Card links and hierarchy
- Define your own business rules
- Email integration for seamless communication
- Time tracking for billable
- Analytics( Cumulative flow diagrams, Cycle time scatter plot, blocked time heat map)
- Monte Carlo simulation and forecasting
- Integrations with Zapier and Trello, Microsoft Azure, Okta, Box. OneDrive, DropBox, GoogleDrive, GitHub, GitLab, Subversion, Bitbucket.
- 30-day free trial
- $49/month (includes analytics)
- $25/month (10 business rules)
- $99/ month (License seats. 1-15 users)
Which app would you rate as the top Trello alternative? Let us know in the comments below.
Ready to up your game with nTask?
Manage your team, tasks, projects and more on a single platform. Sign up today, it's free.