Published on February 4, 2020
Updated on September 2, 2020
Read time 14 minutes
The 12 Best Trello Alternatives for Kanban Project Management
In this article, Fred Wilson explores the 12 Best Trello Alternatives for Kanban Project Management.
Trello is a star when it comes to project management software and collaboration tools. It embodies a neat interface with cards stacked up for different projects. Each card can be opened to view more detail such as checklists, labels, and due dates.
Let’s face it – you don’t really need to be a Trello expert or Trello board custodian for a decade to get a hang of the tool.
But wait a minute…
While it is favored by companies with the likes of National Geographic, Google, and more, it comes without some basic features that might be critical for most teams. Trello works great as a simple to-do list app however it’s limited when it comes to handling bigger and complex projects.
To begin with, Trello does not have built-in Gantt charts. It is considered a necessity for project management by most teams. It can be integrated with external tools to get the job done, but that means additional steps.
Second, it does not come with a meeting management module either. This means you need to switch between tools to set up meetings and to monitor tasks. Third, it does not offer time tracking for tasks either.
For a price of $9.99 per user per month (Premium plan), there are Trello alternatives you can switch to today to get a better value for your investment.
Trello vs Slack? Trello vs Jira? You must have often heard of these comparisons but there are a ton of top apps out there which you might not have tried out to date.
The faithful among the Trello Community might not agree at first but we would love for you to lend an ear to our feedback.
Software developers are going to face a real shock at who we have reviewed at #5 ;).
We’ll take you through this list step by step.
Here is a list of our picks to make the switch easier for you.
The top of the list of your free Trello alternatives is nTask. Although, you might think we hold a bit of bias towards it, if you check out nTask for yourself, you will agree it is rightfully so.
This Trello alternative comes with a spectrum of features that covers all your task and project management needs under one roof.
With multiple modules neatly placed on the left panel of a central dashboard, nTask gives you options to work solo or monitor multiple teams with their dedicated workspaces. It gives you issue and resource management, meeting management, time tracking, and Gantt charts other than the basic project management feature set.
All this, at an incredibly low price and an extraordinarily short learning curve.
Check out the following features and modules in nTask:
- Project management including reports, timelines, Gantt charts, progress meter, and project budgeting. Plus, there is an option to create projects and associated tasks or treat tasks independently.
- Task management including task creation, time tracking, assignment, organization, prioritization, and sharing tasks with multiple statuses.
- Integration with Slack so you can convert comments to tasks and projects in nTask using Slack and receive updates from nTask in Slack.
- Meeting management module with a multitude of options including recurring or one-time meetings, sending invites, adding agenda, post-meeting actions, and meeting minutes.
- A simple user interface with access to a wide range of modules.
- Team specific workspaces that can be managed and monitored simultaneously for seamless team management.
- Timesheets management module for creating and managing team-specific sections for employee task efforts and payroll.
- Issue management module to facilitate the identification and listing down of issues related to multiple tasks. List down the issue along with the Issue owner and relevant details to track issue maintenance.
- Risk management module for keeping an eye on potential risks. Arrange risks in lists and assign a risk owner in order to track risk management.
- Powerful search and filter tools to search for tasks, projects, meetings, issues, and risks. Plus, make use of the filter option to save more frequent searches.
- Alerts, notifications, and reminders to keep teams on track.
- Two-Factor Authentication for extensive security.
- Third-party access via public links.
- Mobile apps for iOS and Android.
- Kanban Board (Coming Soon!)
nTask offers the following plans:
- Pro pricing plan (start at $1 per month per user with annual billing).
Looking for the perfect Trello alternative?
See for yourself why Trello users are switching to nTask. Create unlimited, tasks, meetings, risks, issue & more.
Trello vs Asana – Definitely a review of Trello Alternatives is empty without mentioning Asana as an alternative.
If Trello is a star, Asana does not lag behind boasting about acquiring millions of customers across 15 countries. This free Trello alternatives gives you a wide array of features with a clean view making your life as a project manager easier.
Whether is a small team locally or you are working with remote teams, Asana makes communication and collaboration a breeze. Like Trello, you can place your tasks and other information as cards that can be dragged and dropped.
The timeline makes project monitoring more efficient through moveable tasks with images of the task owners. Plus, communication is simplified with comments, likes, and followers. You can also share files and tag a team member in the comments to get their attention.
Here is a detailed list of Asana’s key features:
- Detailed project management options that include project timeline, Gantt charts, project permissions, Project Sections, Search Views, goal setting, and due dates.
- Comprehensive task management including task tracking, adding assignees, uploading attachments and adding comments to tasks. There are options to show the importance for tasks through ‘hearts’, task dependencies, My Tasks list, and Focus Mode.
- Centralized feed for centralized updates on the workflow and team activities.
- Multiple workspaces for handling multiple teams in parallel Option to view team members’ tasks and priorities.
- Meeting management including agenda, follow up, upcoming, notes, references, meeting minutes, option to share projects with attendees and before meeting discussion
- Real-time updates on tasks and projects.
- Notifications and reminders including automatic updates to the inbox.
- Customize calendars and select from multiple views – Calendar power is important
- Admin and other roles creation for projects.
- Email bridge.
- Kanban support – Good alternative to Trello Boards
- Mobile apps for iOS and Android.
Take a pick with Asana’s multiple plans:
- Premium ($ 9.99 per user per month).
- Enterprise (customized).
Bitrix24 is primarily an online tool that can also be installed on-prem as your next Trello alternatives. Extremely user-friendly, it helps teams in collaboration, manage tasks and projects, and gives you a CRM module for customer support. With a customizable interface, you can create a layout as per your liking.
Already winning the hearts of 4,000,000+ organizations globally, Bitrix24 is a promising tool, especially for small teams. Make use of comments, instant messages, chats, and group discussions or email. Plus, it is easy to keep ahead of your teams by viewing their activities on a centralized news feed.
In addition to basic project management options, it offers a video conferencing option, which is perfect for remote teams. Also, you can save time using their built-in task templates.
Birtix24 comes with the following robust features:
- Task management includes task and subtask creation, time tracking, reminders, reporting, templates, task dependencies, and time tracking.
- Project management options include creating projects and workgroups, Kanban boards, Gantt charts, reports, and workload management.
- Meeting management including setting meeting topic, agenda, description, date, time, duration, location, attendees, minutes as well as attach files. You can add attendees first, and select a meeting assistant from one of them after.
- Extensive options for team collaboration through comments and likes, email, instant messaging, group chat, activity stream, calendars, and workgroups.
- In-depth Human Resources Management system with attendance management, work reports, workflow automation, and employee directory.
- Cloud storage and advanced document management system.
- Videoconferencing and Telephony.
- User profiles.
- Photo albums.
- Custom Fields.
- Document management including document search, document sharing and version History maintenance.
- Sales Team Management.
- Custom Access Rights.
- Calendars (Personal and Shared).
- Two-way sync with iOS, Android, Google, Outlook calendars.
- CRM including lead and contact management and invoicing.
- Email Marketing and Sales Automation features.
- Mobile apps for iOS and Android.
Bitrix24 offers the following plans to its customers:
- Plus ($35 for 24 users).
- Standard ($89 for 50 users).
- Professional ($179 for unlimited users).
The fourth position on the list of top Trello alternatives goes to none other than Aceproject. This project management tool reminds us of a lot of nTask due to its vast array of modules. With Aceproject you can manage your tasks, projects, documents, timesheets as well as expenses. This makes it a great project management software especially for startups and small teams.
It has a clean interface for easy collaboration and also offers email updates and notifications. Take your project management game a notch up with Gantt charts, time tracking, and efficient visuals. With so much to offer with a variety of plans to select from, Aceproject is definitely worth a try.
This Trello alternative offers the following set of features and modules:
- Project management including Gantt charts, project and time tracking, project dependencies, and in-built templates which are a strong competition to Trello Templates.
- Task management including task creation, time tracking, organization recurring tasks, and customized task reports.
- Timesheets management module including time clock, timesheet approvals, and advanced time reports.
- Document management including sharing and storing documents online through drag/drop or simple upload. Maintain document versioning and locking to sustain document originality.
- Expense management including expense type, expense date, amount, code, tracking, approvals and advanced reports with the option of attaching supporting documents.
- Email notifications and updates.
- Customizable dashboard.
- Mobile apps for iOS and Android.
Take a pick with one of the following Aceproject pricing plans:
- Basic (Free).
- Standard ($24 per month).
- Advanced ($49 per month).
- Silver ($99 per month).
- Gold ($199 per month).
Who likes to hear about Monday? Did I just hear a groan? Well, have no fear! Monday.com would for sure make your Monday trouble-free.
Companies like Uber, Adobe, Costco, and Unilever are already making their Mondays, and the rest of the week, more productive. Use Monday’s Kanban tools to plan, organize, and track your work.
They have put in elaborate work to jettison some of the typical tools used for task management. This software will be an upgrade as an alternative to Trello. Monday allows you to view your work in more than one form: list view, Kanban board, spreadsheets, and map. It has a powerful integration tool, to let you smoothly work from one resource to another.
You will find that it lacks some of the advanced features that you might require in-depth project management. Monday should be your choice if you want to keep things simple yet versatile. You may not find such a bright and glowy app as Trello alternatives.
Here are the features for Monday that might make it worth your penny:
- User-friendly and intuitive interface
- Team projects
- Recruitment tracker
- Client projects
- Agile projects
- Automated workflow
- Activity log
- Available and editable templates
- Quickly add columns, track tasks, time, mark locations, numbers, links and a lot more.
- Invite the team; assign tasks
- All your collaboration in one place
- Basic: $39/ month
- Standard: $49/month
- Professional: $79/month
As the name indicates, this is made to be an ultimate tool for Managers and a helpful Trello alternative. They’ve built the product in a way that reflects the insight of differences between each team.
They present a project management solution that assists you in taking steps towards being a successful manager. Utilizing this tool you can move forward with confidence. Project managers at Volvo, Ralph Lauren, Bank of America seem to be letting Projectmanager.com be their tool of choice.
It allows for an expansive and in-depth view of the project and monitoring. You can easily track all of the activities to manage and allocate your resources. The internal communication via messages, comments, calls allows for a building of the project.
All this makes it evident that projectmanager.com has all the tools required to run your business, manage your team and reach your goals effectively.
- Gantt charts
- Real-time and customizable dashboards
- Task management
- Get instant Reports
- Timesheet to save up on your time
- Manage your team’s workload
- Multiple project management
- Visualize workflow with Kanban boards – Strong competition for Trello Boards and Trello Templates in our view
- “To do”, “doing”, “done” tags
- Easily add attachments
- Collaborate with your team
- Agile team projects
- Personal: $15 per user per month
- Team: $20 per user per month
- Business: $25 per user per month
Another software for project and task management that lets you breeze through your work and good Trello alternatives is, Breeze.
Breeze is a software that is keenly used by many individuals, entrepreneurs, startups and big companies. With a minimal price, it has significant features to offer. If you are one of those people who love starting his/her day with a few words to perk you up then breeze is for you! They have inspirational words to make you the most productive of the managers.
The majority of the people who use Breeze prefer it for the wide range of features it offers for a minimal price. Breeze brings to you the best of what it has to offer.
So it can be an awesome upgrade for your work if you are looking for all-in-one software. Collect all your tasks in one place with Breeze so you can envision the bigger picture for your project.
- Upload and set statuses to show what you are up to.
- Assign colors to the tasks to make them stand out
- Custom fields to add detail to the assigned task
- Swimlanes: the horizontal arrangement of tasks
- To-do lists
- Estimates and budgets
- Time tracking
- Tools for communication
- Attach files and documents
- Files and documents
- Sharing of a project with clients
- Calendar view and resource management
- iOS and Android apps
- Freelancer: $29 per month for up to 5 users
- Small business: $59 per month for up to 12 users
- Larger team: $129 per month for up to 30 users
- Enterprise: $249 per month for up to 60 users
Are you looking for a sophisticated tool for the agile team you are running? Kanbanize can your software that assists you in managing, organizing, and tracking your agile projects. If you are looking for more visual work management, then Kanbanize can help you more if you are looking for Trello alternatives.
They have added a flexible workflow so you can optimize your work to get the most out of it. Their Kanban tool helps you to have transparency you ask. How? They have a portfolio style that allows you to view all of your work in one place in its hierarchy.
- An easy to modify Kanban Boards
- Visual workflow
- Define custom roles in the work
- Reminders and follow-ups
- Kanban Card links and hierarchy
- Define your own business rules
- Email integration for seamless communication
- Time tracking for billable
- Analytics( Cumulative flow diagrams, Cycle time scatter plot, blocked time heat map)
- Monte Carlo simulation and forecasting
- Integrations with Zapier and Trello, Microsoft Azure, Okta, Box. OneDrive, DropBox, GoogleDrive, GitHub, GitLab, Subversion, Bitbucket.
- 30-day free trial
- $49/month (includes analytics)
- $25/month (10 business rules)
- $99/ month (License seats. 1-15 users)
Looking for more options as Trello Alternatives? Here on our list on the ninth is WorkZone.
It is just about the right solution for a lot of teams. It is a reputable tool known for its ease of use. It offers awesome features to help clients get things done.
You can easily “spin up” a new area on the app rather than to spend significant amounts of time. You can easily upload files, view the current workflow, and reassign tasks.
Why use Workzone as a Trello Alternative?
- Cloud storage for files
- Personalized dashboards
- Dedicated Workspaces
- High-Quality Customer Support
- Project dashboard
- Gantt chart
- To-do list
- Document sharing
- Time tracking
- Email alerts and notifications
- Image markup
- API’s and integrations
- Workzone has three pricing plans – TEAM Plan, Professional, and Enterprise. You’ll need to contact their sales team to request pricing details.
Notion is another one of those handy apps that we felt comfortable recommending as one of the best Trello alternatives. It’s fast, it has a convenient drag and drop function; just like Trello, and the note-taking experience is not that bad at all.
Beyond the conventional highlights that you’d look in any application as an alternative to Trello, you will find that Notion has a bit more to offer.
For instance, you can create projects and main tasks which have the possibility of having milestones/ subtasks afterward. In addition, building content repositories alongside markdown editor and app integration support are flawless.
Speaking of 3rd party app integrations, you can add 50 apps inside Notion’s “Pages.” There are also use cases to illustrate the application of this Software tool in different industries.
- Contains extensive use cases to support new users.
- 49+ app integrations.
- 40+ block content types.
- Kanban boards, tables, galleries, and calendar views.
- Support for teams and unlimited members on paid plans.
- Amazing Kanban board experience: thanks to an intuitive UI and drag n’ drop functionality.
- Notion is basically free for all.
- Paid plans start with Notion Premium at $10 per user/ per month.
11. Toggl Plan
Toggl Plan takes whatever that Notion and Trello are offering and increases that experience by tenfold. Think about the beautiful execution of your plans, tasks, and projects in an entirely engrossing way.
Feature-wise, Toggl Plan has got what you’d expect from a Kanban board application. You see the usual nitty-gritties overlaid with task tracking, multiple team management, and other aspects of a project.
For instance, there are different visual modes to aid the project workflow. You can view stuff in Timeline mode and in Kanban boards style. The choice is yours.
What both views do is that they help to act as an idea board for not only continuing with the workflow but also enabling you to conceptualize team ideas along the way.
Whenever you need to add new tasks in a project, they can be assigned to team members in both of the aforementioned views. While doing that, team members can collaborate via comments and file attachment support.
- Kanban and Timeline view support.
- Multiple file support extension.
- Robust collaboration through commenting function.
- Multiple team management support.
- Use tags to prioritize projects.
- Comes with Chrome extension & integrates, Slack, Google Calendar, Github, and Toggl Track.
- Custom colors for tasks and increased storage space.
- Free plan
- Starter plan available for $9 per user/ per month.
- Premium plan available for $18 per user/ per month.
LeanKit is a multiplatform application for anyone who is looking for the best free Trello alternatives. Although technically, this app isn’t free, it does have a free version with an abundance of features.
Of course, if you were to opt-in for the paid edition, LeanKit will offer you a slight advantage. We will get to it later in this post.
For new users, the interface might seem intimidating. There are too many details in LeanKit boards, and you won’t have the slightest clue about organizing everything. However, give it a few shots and the app will help to be more productive than ever.
The Kanban experience is overlaid with templates, card types, and many visual cues. These cards can be further color-coded to represent task urgency. Once you are done with a card, it can be maintained in the Backlog list for further reviewing.
Project managers reportedly find LeanKit to be a perfect blend of productivity and agile methodology-oriented features. To that end, use various Editing options in your app’s interface to maintain team activity as an admin.
- Powerful Kanban boards with tweaked features for performance optimization.
- Edit user roles and work output as an admin.
- Can be used for freelancing, project, and task management.
- Carryover previous project boards and details via the unique Save feature.
- Connect LeanKit with 3rd party apps through Zapier supported integrations.
- LeanKit is free for use.
- LeanKit Premium starts at $19 per month/ per user for unlimited boards and extra features.
Which app would you rate as the top Trello alternatives? Let us know in the comments below.
Ready to up your game with nTask?
Manage your team, tasks, projects and more on a single platform. Sign up today, it's free.