Running a startup is no piece of cake. There is a constant hammer of uncertainty that only adds to the already existing pressures of limited budget and scarce resources. Each week as the business of startups grow, so does the challenges that come with this growth.
As a Project Manager, you can only do so much, monitor and manage team collaboration, maintain time-accountability and assess the progress of your projects. And even then, things can get clunky and fall out of place. To foster an organized workflow, most organizations acquire the help of a nifty task management tool.
Because why let everything fall on your mortal human-shoulders when you have a wide array of automated friends to share your burden.
Why Use Task Management Software?
Before we move onto helping you choose the best task management software, let’s skim through the reasons your emerging business could use one.
- Centralize team workflow and communication on a single platform
- Maintain and monitor team accountability for a myriad of tasks with just a few clicks
- Practice efficient time tracking of all your team members, at all times with an automated system
- Create a central hub for document storage, sharing, and retrieval
- Avoid time wastage in manually updating and organizing project schedules
- Schedule and attend virtual meetings from anywhere in the world
If you have never used a tool for task management, you will find yourself swimming in a bottomless sea of software to choose from. Which also means, you are equally likely to find yourself investing in the wrong software, which may sound like a good idea at the start but would turn out to be a big source of disappointment.
What Does the Best Task Management Software Offer?
Here are 6 key-criteria you should refer to before investing in one:
- Is issue tracking and risk assessment available for each task or project that you create?
- Does it facilitate real-time communication with team members for clear & transparent management?
- Does it allow users the freedom to customize their workspace according to what best suits their preference?
- Is it visually simple to understand and flexible to use for all sorts of teams?
- Does it offer a generous set of features at a low price?
- Does it consist of time tracking features to ensure on-time project delivery?
Table of Contents
If hopefully by now, you’re convinced that your startup could use the expertise of a management tool, we have reviewed a list of the 27 best task management tools to help you manage teamwork and increase your productivity.
nTask is a newcomer in the fierce market of software. It was designed to eliminate the frustration caused by overly complexed tools that are often abandoned by the users halfway down the road. Its specialty lies in its straightforward, elementary format that reduces the learning curve of users belonging to any team type.
It can be one of the best task management software for modern teams as it comes equipped with native modules which give an all-round coverage to your project needs. With an elaborate task management solution built-in, there’s nothing you cannot do with nTask. Assign tasks, manage priorities, set recurrences, and get notified when a task lies ahead of you.
Furthermore, track and resolve issues associated with your tasks quickly with nTask’s powerful issue management module. Identify issue severity and assign to particular team members to define accountability. The same holds true for risks. The software allows you to develop a robust risk mitigation strategy to let you smartly deal with your project risks.
It doesn’t end here. To help you eliminate the horror of unproductive meetings, nTask’s meeting management solution has it all. From agenda, to meeting participants attendance, to meeting minutes, and lots more.
You can also use the software for time tracking as nTask facilitates timesheet management too. Manually enter time entries and you can later use them for billing clients too.
- Visually appealing views of tasks in the form of List, Grid, and Calendar. Assort and manage how you view tasks using a set of filters
- Create and link multiple tasks to projects in one click
- Create checklists and give descriptions to tasks
- Give your tasks individual status, priority and a due date
- Manually log hours that automatically update in corresponding timesheets
- View task percentage progress via self-generating progress meter
- Create a task recurrence on a daily, weekly, monthly basis
- Add files, images, and comments to each task for effective communication
- Export task details to external sources via a public link or email
- Use the color palette to color-code your tasks
- Self-generating Gantt Charts to help you give a roadmap view of your task timelines
- View task history in Activity Log
- Assign tasks to multiple assignees for dividing the workflow
- Conduct and manage minutes of meetings with defined agendas, discussion points, and follow-up actions
- Free Plan – 5 workspaces, 200 MBs of storage.
- Pro Plan – $2.99, Unlimited everything.
Features Missing in nTask
- Does not let you create sub-tasks or task dependencies
- Does not have a real-time team chat
Sign up for the best task management software today, it’s free!
Your favorite task management software. Sign up today and organize work smartly.
Evident from its name, Teamwork is one of the best task management software focusing on streamlining team collaboration and effort. It offers an impressive tier of project management features that extend from simple task management to time tracking, billing and a lot more. Whether you work with a group of small teams or large, Teamwork will help you strengthen the different forts of your workspace, all under one roof.
- Create multiple tasks and divide them into easily manageable sub-tasks
- Track and log time individually on each task using the digital timer
- Log billable and non-billable hours on each task using the digital timer
- Add estimates and work progress next to each task
- Set priority status, tags, reminders, and labels for each task
- Create task dependencies and recurring tasks
- Import tasks from Excel
- Link tasks to Milestones created separately on Teamwork. You can also link tasks to Teamwork Calendar
- Manage who to notify and when by controlling Notification Settings
- Communicate with Team members using Comment and Chat Feature Task Board
- Free Plan – 5 User, 100 MB storage.
- Pro Plan – $9 user/month. 100 GB file storage.
Features Missing in Teamwork
- Does not provide Issue tracking or reporting within Task Management
Approved into use by some of the most influential names across the world, such as Harvard University, Coca-Cola, and Disney, Droptask brings a pleasant twist in the framework of task management.
Designed with visually appealing Venn diagrams that permit color customization, it has the shortest learning curve compared to any task management software out there.
- Alternate between fun-inducing canvas view or a workflow view of a task
- Add notes, assignees, tags, checklists, reminders, and attachments to each task
- Choose and manage urgency, priority, progress, and effort of a task with a slide bar
- Access and view task history at any time you want
- Create a separate category or project, then use Drag & Drop option to relocate task into either one
- Monitor and manage task notifications for each member
- Free Plan – Unlimited users. Unlimited workspaces.
- Individual Plan – $5/month, single user, all features
Features Missing in Droptask
- An issue tracker to report and identify issues related to tasks not available
- No Gantt Chart views to display roadmap of task timelines
- Timesheets to keep track of employee hours not available
ProofHub may be a tad expensive, but with add-ons like unified communication, email project management, and a multilingual interface, it can be great for larger teams looking to collaborate remotely. It is an easy-to-use platform to manage team collaboration and deliver projects on time.
- Define workflow, with flexible Kanban boards that provide List view and board view of tasks
- Track time spent on each task using a digital timer or manually log the hours
- Assign custom roles to members for each task
- Switch and move tasks into varying stages depending on the project life cycle
- Visit infographic column on the task board to get a quick analytical summary of tasks in progress, tasks completed and total tasks
- Create Sub-tasks and assign to various team members
- Change interface language from English to either French, Spanish, German, Polish or Portuguese
- View roadmaps of task and project timelines in holistic Gantt Charts
- $89/ month- Unlimited projects and users
Features Missing in ProofHub
- Does not offer issue or risk tracking
ActiveCollab is another powerful tool perfect for organizing workflow for small teams and businesses in general. It has been around the block for a decade, and because of its smooth and flexible usability, it has rendered a favorite spot among numerous academic institutions and government organizations. You can manage every aspect of your project be it time tracking, team collaboration or invoicing.
Active Collab is a cloud-based app that functions on multiple browsers and can be installed on a personal server as well.
- Create and organize tasks on a single board and filter them into due dates, labels or people
- Choose assignees for each task, add reminders, leave comments and attach files for your team to share
- Assemble your tasks in Gantt-like view, Column view or list view
- Sync your calendar with event-specific tasks
- Track the total hours spent on a task with the use of a stopwatch
- Generate reports for the number of open tasks
- $25/ month. 5 users. 5GB space
Features Missing in ActiveCollab
- No sub-tasks, no task dependencies
- No issue or risk tracking
One of the best task management software that need no real introduction, Trello is the very definition of basic task management. Trello’s specialty lies in its interactively simple Kanban boards that assist quick drag & drop ability of tasks from one column to another.
The incredibly generous Free plan of Trello that offers unlimited members, boards and checklists are what has granted Trello a golden spot in the hearts of small businesses and setups.
- Flexible Kanban boards that store created tasks in the form of cards, boards and lists
- Users can create checklists within the cards and toss in their vote for each performance being carried out within the card
- Email-to-board feature allows users to convert their emails into boards and cards
- Assign tasks, attach files, add descriptions and progress checklists to each individual board containing a task
- Add comments with emojis on boards and cards to communicate real-time with the rest of the team
- Free Plan – Unlimited users and unlimited boards.
- Business Plan – $9.99/month – 250 MB storage, multiple integrations, added data security
Features Missing in Trello
- Time tracking not available for tasks
- Reporting formats not available for task summaries
- Task dependencies or recurring tasks missing
- Gantt Chart view of boards and tasks not available
Primarily a project management tool, Nifty is gradually becoming a strong name to remember in this crowded market of task management tools. It provides users with a diverse array of features that assist both team communication as well as project management.
The meager pricing plan of Nifty is a big business-pleaser for small teams looking to invest in something affordable to enhance team productivity.
- Kanban Board view that splits and divides tasks into three categories of New tasks, In-progress and Completed
- A visual overview of task deadline and milestones on a roadmap
- File storage with separate categories of spreadsheets, presentations, videos, audios, images, and even code
- Control and manage notifications for each member of the team
- Filter tasks by user and milestones
- Assign one or more members to a task
- Commenting feature to assist team collaboration on tasks in addition to a discussion board
- Basic Plan – $8 per user/month. 5 GB space. Unlimited projects
Features Missing in Nifty
- Native Gantt Charts
- Task Priority settings
- Task Progress metrics
- User/team activity dashboard
Gathering clientele, struggling with new deadlines and the processes of recruiting the right team can be a draining process. Startups need something that is not only affordable but also helps take care of multiple dimensions of team and project management.
That is where Avaza steps in. Avaza lines up in our list of best task management software due to its comprehensive feature list that lets you manage projects, teams as well as the invoices. Simplify complex projects by breaking them down into manageable work through to-do lists, add details such as a start and end date and view them in Kanban, Gantt charts or lists.
Starting with the initial quotation to processing invoices, with Avaza your financials are taken well care of, so you can focus entirely on your project delivery. Avaza makes payment and invoicing even easier through options that allow for conveying and monitoring detailed estimates to potential clients, which you can convert into a project with a few clicks.
It also offers an inbuilt client management module that includes a Time & Expenses tab and caters to direct payment through PayPal or Stripe.
- Task management including group tasks
- Multiple task views including Kanban, Gantt & List
- Comments, file sharing, and collaboration
- Project management including project budgeting and project progress dashboards
- Scrum project Burndown charts to assess work pressure
- Activity feeds so your team can stay updated on the latest developments
- Time tracking to stay on track
- Timesheet entry and billing
- Business reporting
- Cloud accounting
- Credit notes
- Invoice, Quotation, and Estimation
- Support for split payments across invoices
- Billing and expense management
- Multi-currency expenses, invoicing, payments and credit notes
- Online payments (partial payments, PayPal payment integration)
- iOS and Android mobile apps
- Avaza offers Free, Startup ($9.95 per month), Basic ($19.95 per month) and Business ($39.95 per month) plans.
Features Missing in Avaza
- Mobile apps are not as intuitive and easy to navigate
- Higher learning curve as takes time to get around it
- Real-time updates
- Issue tracking features
- Project risk management
- Native Meeting management
A complete project and task management app with a growing number of subscribers with each passing day, Wrike holds its place as one of the best task management software for teams of all sizes in all industries.
Offering a multitude of options with a sleek interface to manage projects encompassing complexity from basic to enterprise, this tool is one of the all-under-one-roof solutions. Beginning with multiple pane views for viewing and monitoring information from different aspects, Wrike makes it easy to stay on top of your projects with little effort.
You can organize, prioritize and schedule tasks, engage team members through tagging, customize reports and collaborate with peers with just a few clicks. If you are just starting up, you can start free with a limited number of users and a fixed set of features. You can later upgrade your subscription as your team grows or as the workload and project lists expand requiring a vaster feature set.
- Comprehensive task management feature set
- Setting recurrent tasks
- Task organization and prioritization
- Team discussions in tasks
- 3 pane project view for analyzing data efficiently
- Member engagement through tags
- Customized reports
- Interactive timeline (Gantt chart)
- Real-time newsfeed
- Document collaboration
- Workload management
- Email integration
- Meeting management
- iPhone and Android apps
Wrike offers multiple plans that comprise Free, Professional ($9.80 per user per month), Business ($ 24.80 per user per month), Marketers ($ 34.60 per user per month) and Enterprise (customized) plans.
Features Missing in Wrike
- Higher learning curve
- No progress completion percentage.
- Time reporting option is not available.
- Not as intuitive to work with and takes time to learn.
- Task management in mobile apps is not as efficient.
With a focused but powerful set of features that can help you streamline your task management activities and that is affordable, Basecamp could be your next best task management tool. Basecamp provides channels for instant messaging and real-time chat with groups and individuals, a good amount of file storage, to-do lists for sorting out work related tasks, scheduling work and sharing documents and other information.
Plus, it generates reports automatically based on your work summary so it saves you time. Also, instead of juggling between various payment plans, if you like to keep the payment plan fuss free, at a single standard rate, regardless of the team size, Basecamp offers you uncomplicated pricing.
This means you don’t need to juggle between saving expenses and growing your team.
- To do lists for tasks
- Scheduling tasks
- Setting priorities for tasks
- Task History
- Project management including project templates
- Use of calendar
- Tracking hours spent on projects
- Interactive Gantt Charts for projects
- Create Teams/Groups
- Messaging or Instant Messaging with individuals or groups
- Document Management
- Information and file sharing
- Forums for team discussions
- RSS Feed
- Issue History
- Resources allocation and forecasting
Basecamp offers one standard price at $99 per month regardless of the number of users, projects or teams.
Features Missing in Basecamp
- The details associated with each project is limited and scattered across the tool. This means it does not display information under a single view.
- Limited features for task or project reporting.
- Lack of options for task or project budgeting.
- There is no built-in time tracking, however, it can be integrated.
- There is no customization option.
- It does not offer an inbuilt instant messaging feature.
- Search and filter options for files or to-do lists.
- Risk management features
- Built-in meeting management features
A task management app, Asana has come a long way and has made a name for itself as one of the best task management software floating the market. You can create and manage tasks individually or assign them to projects as well as follow up on them through various devices.
Modules such as My Tasks list and Focus Mode help you focus on more important, more urgent tasks. Team members can easily collaborate with each other on the work at hand through comments, likes and follow options.
Plus, Asana makes it easy to share files and other information, and even tag a team member in the comments to involve them in a certain task. Asana saves you the need to use email or other third-party add-ons for collaboration.
- Activity feed for centralized updates on the workflow and team activities
- Add assignees to tasks
- Add attachments to tasks
- ‘Like’ tasks and activities through ‘hearts’
- Automatic updates to the inbox
- Create custom calendars and views
- Email bridge
- My Tasks list and Focus Mode
- Track tasks and add followers
- Notifications and reminders
- iPhone support, HTML5 mobile site
- Multiple workspaces for handling multiple teams in parallel
- Project Sections and Search Views
- Real-time updates on tasks and projects
- See team members’ tasks and priorities
- Set goals, priorities, and due dates
- Set project permissions
- Project and task creation
- Comment on tasks for further clarification
- Task dependencies for streamlined workflow
- Gantt Charts
- Kanban support
- Meeting minutes
Asana offers a Free, Premium ($ 9.99 per user per month) and Enterprise (customized) plan.
Features Missing in Asana
- No task assignment to multiple users or team members
- Limited task status options
- No option of converting comments to tasks and vice versa
- Higher learning curve
- Not so easy to keep track of tasks or other information due to its nested structure
- No built-in meeting management
Hitask is a task management tool that is the perfect fit for start-ups. Comprising of multiple features placed neatly on a user-friendly interface, this app makes it very easy to manage tasks and collaborate with teams.
- Task creation from email to Hitask account
- Email and mobile push notifications
- Multiple reminders per task
- Task assignment to team members
- Notification on comments, due dates, missed deadlines and updated or completed tasks
- Chat and instant messaging
- Task comments for elaboration and added information
- Hierarchy of tasks and sub-tasks forming nested task lists
- Recurring tasks on a daily, weekly, monthly or yearly basis
- Issue tracking by unique number
- Task progress and spent time reporting
- Multi-lingual support for multiple languages
- Tags for categorizing items by contexts
- Color tagging for tasks and projects
- Data export option for Excel and other data format for external processing
- IOS and Android mobile apps
Hitask offers Team Free, Team Business ($ 25 per month) and Enterprise ($ 120 per month ) plans.
Features Missing in Hitask
- Meeting management module
- Gantt Charts not available
- Basic Document management features
- Does not offer built-in meeting management
#13 on our list of the best task management software is Aha!. Every start-up and established organization needs to establish a roadmap to clearly set and meet goals and monitor progress accordingly. What’s more? Aha! actually offers a subscription plan that is focused on start-ups.
This task management software helps you define your vision, goals, and initiatives to help strategize more efficiently. It also has a separate section for gathering ideas from customers for future improvements.
With a drag-and-drop interface, you can list down your project requirements and document features as well as create mock-ups in the same tool. Plus, you get to analyze and share your roadmaps.
- Efficiently designed modules that hold feature sets focusing on strategy, releases, idea gathering, roadmaps, analytics and more.
- Drag and drop interface for storing features and requirements through user stories.
- Organize and prioritize features.
- Scoring card for features to asses which feature needs to be prioritized.
- Create mock-ups of the features designed.
- Attaching wireframes, sketches, and inspirations directly to features.
- Visualise dependencies between features.
- Track progress of related features.
- Comment stream to capture feedback with options to mention colleagues and other features.
- Customize columns, filter, and other fields.
- View project status and team activities through Kanban boards.
- Mobile app for iOS.
With Aha! you can avail Startup (qualification assessment), Premium ($59 per user per month), Enterprise ($99 for product owner or contributor per month), Enterprise + ($149 for product owner or contributor per month) plans.
Features Missing in Aha!
- No mobile app for Android.
- Prices are relatively higher than peer tools.
- User interface can take some time to get used to.
- No issue or risk tracking.
As the name may infer, this task management solution has you covered all the way from task creation and management to your billing and invoicing. With the number of options this tool provides, it can safely be considered as one of the best task management software on the market.
Kanban boards make it easier to adapt the tool in an Agile work process with everything placed neatly on Kanban columns. Start-up teams need a centralized tool for monitoring everything from tasks, to clients, to the finances, which Task2Bill provides.
The additional 1GB free storage space makes this option even more attractive especially if there is document management and file sharing involved.
- Tasks management including listing tasks, prioritizing them, setting task status and posting comments.
- Kanban boards for re-positioning and monitoring tasks on different status columns through drag and drop.
- Set milestones for task groups and payments.
- Track time invested in tasks.
- Add custom roles for employees according to their responsibilities.
- Client Rate Chart for maintaining customized and negotiated rates for task services and materials used for calculating quotations and invoicing.
- Send quotation to clients and negotiate with cost.
- Accepted quotations, billable tasks and expenses, payment milestones and used materials.
- Create quick invoices for clients from billable items.
- Online or manual payments and adjustments with invoices.
- 1 GB free storage on Task2Bill server.
- Options to set up meeting, appointments, and reminders.
- Notifications including configurable email notifications for actions, Web and Slack notifications.
- Generate advanced reports for projects, people, timesheet and sales activity.
- Add multiple contacts for your company or for your clients.
Task2Bill offers a Basic (free), Starter ($15 per month), Pro ($25 per month) and Advanced ($50 per month) pricing plans.
Features Missing in Task2Bill
- No mobile apps for iOS or Android
- Issue and Risk tracking modules missing
- Task dependencies are not available
Proworkflow is one of the best task management tools for teams that are just starting up and picking pace. With pre-defined templates, you can take control of your task management process and not the other way round.
Customize your workflow, manage timesheets and corresponding reports, team messaging and document sharing. A major concern of newly formed organizations is to keep track of finances and monitor rightful investment of resources.
With the invoice management and quotation handling feature set, Proworkflow helps you steer your finances in the right direction without having to worry about any critical element slipping by.
Also, you don’t need to juggle between multiple views, instead you get access to updates and task progress and a lot more through a single, comprehensive view – the dashboard.
Here is how you manage your tasks with Proworkflow:
- Task management through task creation and assignment set recurring tasks, add sub-tasks and dependencies as needed
- Project management making use of templates, project prioritization, project timelines and reporting, cost-to-completion tracking, Gantt charts, Kanban board, milestone tracking, percent-complete tracking, and status tracking
- Resource allocation easy workload balancing control
- Notifications and alerts
- Team collaboration and management including centralized messaging & collaboration, file sharing, customizable templates, chat / messaging, contact management, content management, cooperative writing
- Client access and request ability
- Mobile apps for iOS and Android
Proworkflow offers Solo ($10 per user per month), Professional ($20 per user per month) and Advanced ($30 per user per month) subscription plans.
Features Missing in Proworkflow
- No risk or issue tracking
- Does not offer meeting management features
Scoro makes its way to this list of the best task management software for a number of reasons. It is a complete business solution that offers a broad spectrum of features including task and project management, team management and customer relationship management. Scoro makes it easy to keep track of tasks and projects all the while giving you ample options to oversee team progress.
For customer-oriented businesses, it is especially useful to keep track of customer issues and be able to attend to their queries through the same platform. This prevents start-ups from the extra expense that may otherwise be incurred by investing in multiple solutions for different requirements.
Scoro also helps you maintain documentation and manage invoices and billing. With so much to offer, Scoro is a must have for start-ups in any industry.
- Task and project management modules
- Meeting scheduling and management
- Shared team calendar
- Team communication and collaboration
- Document management and file sharing
- Real-time, customizable KPI dashboards
- Contact database and management
- Time tracking and billing for work
- Comprehensive reports for various elements of workflow
- Quotation and invoice management with pre-set templates
- Mobile apps for iOS and Android
Scoro offers Plus ($22 per user per month), Premium ($33 per user per month) and Ultimate ($55 per user per month) subscription plans.
Features Missing in Scoro
- Contacts can be hard to find
- Gantt charts are not available
- No issue or risk tracking
- Not too easy to learn
Brief makes it to the 17th spot on our list of the best task management software for startups. Although it does not offer a huge spectrum features, the modules and capabilities it does offer is perfect for start-ups.
It is equally useful for small and large teams. It comes with a clean interface and has is easy to work with. Create and manage tasks with options that include task forwarding and group task assignment.
Plus, you can assign tasks during discussions and this not only saves time but gives you an easier way to get work done. With an option to create multiple private or shared team workspaces and topic creation for teams, manage different teams in their own way through a single tool.
A centralized view helps you oversee and monitor workspaces with the corresponding activities.
Take a hold of the following prominent features with Brief:
- Task management including task creation, to-do lists, task replies, forwarding, and group tasks
- Task assignment to single users or team
- Convert chat messages to task
- Team management including creating teams, team workspaces (private or shared)
- Hubs to organize your chats, tasks and files.
- File sharing for multiple file types
- Chat discussions
- Video chats and group chats
- Mobile apps for iOS and Android
Brief offers a Free, Pro ($10.99 per month) and Enterprise ($13.99 per month) plan.
Features Missing in Brief
- No percent-complete tracking
- Recurring task management not available
- No time tracking
- The option to create subtasks not available
- No Gantt/Timeline view
A powerful to do list and task manager, Todoist leaves a mark by providing some solid task management features for you and your team. The tool allows you to quickly track your startups’ progress over time through a handy feature set. Like some of the best task management software, Todoist also comes equipped with native project templates to eliminate the hassle of creating similar projects from scratch.
If you’re prone to forgetting things, use the quick add functionality and instantly jot down whatever comes to your mind. The color labels, tags, and themes further allow you to organize your tasks the way you want and according to your priorities.
An interesting feature of the tool is the Karma points. Every time you complete your tasks, you earn Karma points and level up. You can also track your performance by analyzing Karma trend and streaks.
- Quick add feature for instantly adding tasks on ad hoc basis
- Color codes, labels, and themes to organize tasks according to preferences
- Built-in templates for instantly getting to work without any delays
- Tasks and subtasks management, including tasks assignment to team members
- Recurring due dates and reminders for tasks repeating on regular basis
- Activity stream to stay posted about project updates happening over time
- Karma points and levels each time you add and complete a task
- Task comments, file attachments, and notifications
- Cross platform support to help you take your work with you wherever you go
Todoist offer a Free, Premium ($3 per month), and Business ($5 per user/month) plans
Features Missing in Todoist
- No calendar view
- Built-in time tracker
- Does not offer Gantt charts
- No issues or risks tracking
Omnifocus is a beautiful task management software designed for Mac and iOS devices. A GTD app at heart, Omnifocus makes task management efficient for you. Although the myriad of features Omnifocus comes with may seem a little too overwhelming for starters, but if you’re looking for a complete task management solution, look no further.
Easily add actions using Siri to process things faster. Furthermore, for executing tasks in a workflow manner, make use of customizable tags to make tracking and monitoring of tasks smooth. These tags could refer to any context, ranging from location or people, to priority levels of actions.
Through the forecast feature, which shows your calendar, keep an eye on upcoming tasks for the day and plan accordingly.
- Projects and tasks controls, including task labels
- Custom views catering to individual preferences
- Perspectives to keep focus on specific tasks only
- Forecast functionality for keeping future tasks in check
- Project reviews to keep everything on track and monitor progress
- Notification reminders, so no information slips through the cracks
- Customized tags for adding context to the tasks
- Light and dark modes
- Batch editing for multiple items
Omnifocus comes with different plans catering to Mac and iOS devices.
- For iOS – Pro ($74.99) and Standard ($49.99) plans
- For Mac – Pro ($99.99) and Standard ($49.99) plans
The tool also comes with discounted plans for educational and business institutions.
Features Missing in OmniFocus
- Does not come with built-in time tracking
- Gantt view missing
- Issue and Bug Tracking not available
20. Zoho Projects
Another comprehensive task management software, Zoho Projects provides a powerful suite of features that let you manage your tasks with minimum confusion and maximum efficiency. The core functionality of the tool revolves around social networking while getting things done. That is, Zoho Projects comes with a rich toolset comprising of multiple collaboration channels for you to keep everyone in loop. Some of these channels are team chat, online team communication forums, and interactive feeds.
In addition to that, through task dependencies and milestones you can track your task relationships and your projects’ most significant events in order to understand what you need to do next.
The software comes with built-in extensive reporting capabilities to help you gain useful insights regarding where your project stands at the moment.
- Tasks and subtasks management
- Kanban boards for visualizing the workflow and tracking progress
- Task dependencies for identifying the relationship
- Activity feed for staying updated about all the changes occurring over time
- Powerful reports for monitoring project progress
- Time tracking with tasks
- Gantt charts for project scheduling
- Issue tracking for timely identifying and resolving issues
- Client invoicing management for accurately billing clients
- Milestone tracking to keep an eye on project’s important events
You can make use of Zoho Projects through 4 plans. Free, Standard ($20 per month), Express ($40 per month), Premium ($85 per month), and Enterprise ($125 per month).
Features Missing in Zoho Projects
- Missing dedicated meeting management module
- Risk tracking features are not available
If you’re looking for a user-friendly, yet a comprehensive task manager, Flow might be one of the best task management software for startups. Through a visually appealing and intuitive user-interface, Flow makes task management even more fun.
The project timelines allow you to plan your project by week, day, or month. The easy drag and drop lets you quickly schedule the upcoming tasks and lay out the individual workload on your timeline. You can also catch a quick glimpse of your project performance through project dashboards.
If you have a large team working on multiple projects, Flow caters that too. Create workgroups for each project or team and start adding tasks. Furthermore, apply useful filters to keep your attention towards the critical tasks.
- Kanban boards for organizing and visualizing tasks’ progress
- Project timeline for mapping out schedules and monitoring resource workload
- Drag and drop interface for instantly making changes
- Dashboard for monitoring project progress and quickly deciding the next course of action
- Customizable task views, along with start and end dates
- Workgroups for multiple teams, or a team working on multiple projects
- Search filters, plus private and public access to tasks
- Task notes, task comments, and file attachments
- Multiple third-party application integrations
Flow comes with two easy plans. Flow ($4.79 per user/month) and Flow Pro ($7.99 per user/month).
Features Missing in Flow
- No built-in time tracking
- Issue tracking and risks management not available
- Meeting management module missing
Taskade is a simple and flexible online team collaboration tool and task manager that lets you organize and collaborate on your ideas through checklists, notes, and audio/video calls. The simplicity of the tool is the reason it made to our list of best task management apps for startups.
The real-time collaboration features of Taskade provide an excellent platform to stay connected with your team and streamline communication for completing tasks effectively. These features are audio/video calls, team chat and comments, and files sharing.
The tool also comes with built-in templates to help you plan your work ahead of time and get geared up quickly to get things done faster.
- Checklists management to keep track of work that needs to be done
- Built-in project templates to configure new projects quickly
- Due date reminders and notifications
- Audio/video calls to collaborate with remote team members
- Team chat and comments for sharing timely feedback
- Cross platform support to always stay connected with your work
- Personalized themes and backgrounds to fit with preferences
Taskade can be subscribed through two plans. Free, and Pro ($7 per month).
Features Missing in Taskade
- Gantt charts not available
- No time tracking
- Issue tracking and risks management not available
Integrating multiple business management tools into one solution, Bitrix24 is a powerful task management software. It provides a collaborative platform for smartly dealing with your projects through elaborate solutions which include task management, CRM, and team collaboration, to name a few.
Use built-in Gantt charts to kick-start your project planning and map out your schedule to visualize key tasks. The Gantt charts also help with resource management and efficient task allocation. The tool provides a solid framework for team collaboration, making it easy for you to communicate through multiple means. These include a social intranet, team chat, videoconferencing, workspaces, and more.
In addition, the automatic time tracking functionality helps you keep track of where your time went and how you can improve it. In case of manual time tracking, you can easily put in time entries according to your schedule and calculate the hours spent.
- Activity stream to keep track of all the updates
- Calendar sharing with team members for collaborating on schedule
- Bulk email to simultaneously send invites
- Task dependencies to identify relationship between tasks
- Extranet for inviting external users to your workspaces
- File sharing and versioning
- CRM with multiple powerful reports
- Instant messages to share timely feedback with anyone
- Team chat and videoconferencing for quick brainstorming on ideas
- Task management with task reporting and built-in templates
- Time tracking for billing clients and managing hours spent
- User profiles and user groups for managing individual team members
- Email notifications and reminders
- Can be integrated with Gmail, Google Calendar, Dropbox, MS Office, Office 365, Outlook, and more
Features Missing in Bitrix24
- Dedicated meeting management is missing
- Issues and risks management is not available
Bitrix24 offers Free, CRM+ ($69 per month for all users), Standard ($99 per month for all users), and Professional ($199 per month for all users) plans.
Another one of the powerful task management software, Jira comes with a lot more than traditional task management. The software is a solid means to keep track of your work, whilst keeping in mind the bigger picture revolving around issues and bug tracking when it comes to software development.
As soon as you launch the application, Jira gives this leverage to you to choose the type of view according to your task needs. You get the options of Scrum board or a classic Kanban board to fit with your project requirements, and then move along with your work.
The software is loaded with features specifically designed to smoothly implement agile. With a massive built-in library of agile reports, you wouldn’t need a third-party tool for measuring your performance. These reports range from basic burnup and burndown charts, to more elaborate velocity and sprint charts.
- Customizable Scrum boards for teams following Scrum
- Kanban boards for visualizing the workflow
- Roadmaps for planning the project’s work
- Customizable project dashboard for measuring KPIs
- Customizable workflows, along with workflow mapping
- Powerful bug and issues tracker
- Custom search filters to view only what’s important
- Multiple agile reports for tracking performance
- Integrations with Harvest, Toggl, Microsoft Teams for Jira, Cisco Webex, GitHub, and many more
Features Missing in Jira
- Native recurring tasks management is not available
- Meeting management features are missing from the software
- Can seem complicated for first-time users
- Not optimal for small teams or start-ups
Jira offers a free trial of 7 days and a paid plan. The paid plan start from $10 per month, which increases with the number of users.
An easy to use task management software, Taskworld comes with a neat set of features to help you get things done faster. Designed to fit with the requirements of small and medium sized teams, Taskworld comes with a variety of functionalities to streamline your operations.
The interactive dashboard allows you to catch a quick glance at your project performance and take instant decisions, without getting into the hassle of peeking through individual projects. The same principle applies to activity stream too. The live stream allows you to get project updates in real-time from your team members, so that no information leak is observed.
Other than all the essential task management features, Taskworld comes with other useful functionalities too, including multiple project performance reports like burnup and burndown charts, consolidated documents management, and multiple languages support.
- Tasks management, including recurring tasks and checklists
- Interactive dashboard for mentioning KPIs and tracking progress
- Dedicated workspaces for managing multiple teams and projects
- Simultaneous task editing among different projects
- Tags and labels for classifying tasks according to their type
- File attachments and high quality image previews
- Activity log for keeping track of changes occurring over time
- Native project templates to use for kick starting your work
- Project timeline to keep an eye out on upcoming and ongoing tasks
- Task comments, direct messages, and team member mentions
- Public and private access to specific team channels
- Integrations with Google Drive, Google Calendar, Box, Microsoft Outlook, and Dropbox
Features Missing in Taskworld
- Meeting management features are missing from the software
- Issues and risks associated with your tasks cannot be resolved using Taskworld
- Task dependencies cannot be set
Taskworld comes with a Professional ($10.99 per user/month) and Enterprise (custom) plans.
An enterprise-level project management software, Clarizen empowers team to go beyond the basic task management, and automate processes to support broader organizational goals. If you’re looking for a simple task management software for your team, you may want to pass, as Clarizen’s core functionality revolves around work management for enterprises.
The software provides a 360 degree view into your project resources, and task schedules to get real-time insights into what lies ahead. Another way of gaining this is through the dashboard which features your project portfolio and all the critical key performance indicators. You can also engage your workforce on calendar to collaborate on schedule and quickly make changes according to requirements.
The powerful built-in reporting of Clarizen helps you to measure your project performance without opting for any third-party application integrations. This facilitates in developing a coherent workflow across your organization without any fear of information loss.
- A project dashboard for gaining insights into project performance
- Project portfolio management for managing multiple projects simultaneously
- Plan and schedule your projects through Gantt charts
- Resource workload viewer, to evaluate resource allocation of tasks
- Team discussions, along with file attachments to collaborate seamlessly
- Configurable workflows for streamlining the operations
- Time, budget, and expense tracking with projects
- Mobile apps for iOS and Android to keep track of work even when on the go
- Integrates with Salesforce, Jira, SharePoint, Google Drive, Slack, and more
Features Missing in Clarizen
- Meeting management solution is not available
- Risk management features are missing
Clarizen’s pricing plans are available upon request.
Podio is a task management software which essentially operates by consolidating task management and social collaboration features into one integrated solution. The software facilitates successful project execution by claiming to put content, context, and collaboration in one place.
The team collaboration features Podio comes with range from likes and file sharing within the system (just like Facebook), to instant messaging and audio/video calls for instant collaboration. These features allow you to closely track team performance and what each team member is working on at a particular time.
The file management inside Podio is a secured way to keep all of your documents in one place, only to be retrieved whenever required. You can also share your presentations as status posts with your team members when needed.
- Personal dashboards for monitoring performance metrics
- Comprehensive task management, including recurring tasks
- Private and public workspaces to define accessibility
- Activity stream to keep everyone in loop with the updates
- Automated workflows for automating business processes
- Audio and video conference calls
- Integrated chat for instant feedback
- Comments, likes, and file sharing within tasks
- Integrations with Dropbox, Google Drive, Evernote, One Drive, SugarSync, and Sharefile
Features Missing in Podio
- Native time tracking with tasks is missing
- Issue tracking is not available
- Risks management features are not found
- Exclusive meeting management solution is not available
The subscription plans Podio provides are Free (for 5 employees), Basic ($9 per user/month), Plus ($14 per user/month), and Premium ($24 per user/month).
Although not every task management app in our reviewed list meets each criterion necessary for selection, we leave the final decision up to you. Keeping your startup’s framework in mind, its limitations and your strengths as a project manager, select and find out which task management software will best catapult your business.