Every new day, a list of tasks awaits us – some more interesting than the others. Nevertheless, the importance of completing these tasks is undisputed especially if they build up on a daily level to help us meet our goals. Plus, the sense of achievement one feels with completing a task is unparalleled to any other feeling.
There are so many apps that claim to make your life easier by giving you the perfect to-do list app. Although most of these apps stand up to mark and can make task completion incredibly easy and organized, the criteria for selection remains a puzzle. Simple and easily workable apps may be dry and not have the complete feature set you require.
On the other hand, flashy and glamorous apps may be a tad bit complicated to use. Who can question the matter of money? Free apps may be a treat but come with limited features. Paid apps may serve the purpose, but is the investment worth it?
Let’s face it. Looking for the “one” in the to-do list app arena can be overwhelming so we have done the homework for you. Here is a list of our top 5 best to do list apps you can use today absolutely free or with minimum pricing plans.
nTask comes first on our list of best to do list apps. nTask is one of the best task management tools created for individual and teams. With its simplified, user-friendly GUI letting you navigate a powerful set of features, nTask stands out of the crowd when it comes to helping with task completion.
You can create tasks and subtasks and schedule them as a single time or recurring tasks. Through checklists, you can list down the things to be done. Moreover, you can create projects and associate multiple tasks under it. You can organize, prioritize tasks and monitor task status.
Options such as progress reports, timeline and Gantt Charts let you keep projects on track. nTask helps you save time with its powerful search and filter options. You can search for tasks, projects, meetings and lots more, and pre-saved filters help you save extra time and effort.
This app also helps you stay in sync with updates and keeps you and your team on track through reminders and alerts.
Out of its vast feature set nTask has to offer, here is a glimpse of some of its core features:
- Create, assign, organize, prioritize and share tasks
- Schedule recurring
- Create and assign projects
- Comment on and assign tasks to projects or structure them independently
- Convert comments to tasks using Slack
- Select from multiple statuses for a task
- Alerts, notifications and reminders to keep teams on track.
- Two-Factor Authentication for extensive security
- A simple user interface with access to a wide range of modules.
- Team specific workspaces that can be managed and monitored simultaneously.
- Extensive project management resources including project reports, Gantt charts and project timelines to manage and monitor project progress.
- A dedicated time tracking module with the option of creating and managing team specific sections for employee task efforts and payroll.
- A detailed meeting management module to help teams stay in sync. You can arrange and schedule meetings, be it one time or recurring meetings. Plus, it lets you send invites to attendees, add meeting details and specify follow up procedures.
- Issue management module to facilitate identification and listing down of issues related to multiple tasks. You can list down the issue along with the Issue owner and relevant details to track issue maintenance.
- Risk management module helps you identify and keep track of potential risks. You can list down the risk and assign a risk owner in order to track risk management.
- Powerful search and filter tools that helps you search for tasks, projects, meetings, issues and risks. You can even save more frequently used filters.
- Third party access
- iOS and Android mobile apps
Free and Pro ($2.99 per month per user with an annual billing) plans.
The second tool you can use to boost your productivity levels is Wunderlist. It comes with clean interface that is user-friendly. You can add and check off tasks, sub-tasks, add a due date or even reminders. You can also organize lists into folders and insert more items. Plus, you can filter tasks and keep track of your schedule.
What’s more? With this app, you can create to do lists and even share them with family and friends. It’s is great if you have to submit homework in groups and getting the supplies for an event coming up. Everyone can share the same list of activities. When a task is done, either person can check it off as completed, letting the others know and all of this without affecting the overall user experience.
Some of the prominent options Wunderlist provides you with are:
- Create lists and folders
- Share Lists
- Add comments and notes
- Compatible with All Devices
- Add reminders and notifications
- Easy import to Wunderlist
- Mobile Apps: iOS and Android
Free and Wunderlist Pro ($4.99 per month or $49.99 per year) plans
Microsoft To-Do is another one of the best to do list apps you can get your hands on. Developed by the team behind Wunderlist, Microsoft To-Do is cloud-based and integrates completely with Office 365. It lets you create tasks from scratch or even import tasks from other tools like Wunderlist and Outlook.
This is especially useful if you have to continue with pending tasks without having to rewrite the entire to do list again. You can customize task list presentation with themes and colors, organize and prioritize tasks, add notes and set reminders to keep the tasks in check.
With the My Day list, you get easy access to the tasks due for the day. This eliminates any confusion and streamlines your activities.
Some of the significant options Microsoft To-Do provides you with are:
- Task management
- Task reminders
- Deadline management
- Daily task lists
- Outlook tasks integration
- Data sync across devices
- To-do suggestions
- Multiple task lists
- Due date tracking
- Task notes
- List sharing
- Custom task list themes & colors
- Mobile Apps: iOS and Android
Microsoft To-Do is free.
Todoist grown in popularity over the years and has evolved significantly encompassing more powerful features. You can create, organize and prioritize tasks, create subtasks and dependencies as well create projects and subprojects.
You can label tasks, customize through color codes and add due dates to keep track of the tasks. A prominent feature that comes with Todoist is the AI-powered feature known as Smart Schedule. Through Smart Schedule, the app suggests optimum dates for scheduling and rescheduling existing tasks.
Plus, with Todoist Karma, you get points for completing tasks, using advanced features, and meeting productivity goals on a weekly and monthly basis. You can monitor your progress through graphs with differently colored projects.
Todoist comes with the some of the following notable features:
- Task creation (single and recurring) and labelling
- Task creation from emails
- Task comments
- Task priority levels
- Project templates
- Project sharing
- Email notifications as well as SMS and email reminders
- Contact list integration
- Automatic backups
- Real-time synchronization
- Customizable filters
- User management
- Login tracking
- Centralized team billing
- Productivity tracking
- Open API
- Sharing controls
- Multiple integrations
- Mobile Apps: iOS and Android
Free for Basic and Premium ($29 per year) plans.
The last one in our top 5 best to do list apps is TeuxDeux (pronounced as “To Do”). Termed as the most beautiful to do list on the web, this to do list app allows you to have a visual idea of what’s to be done. You can create list of things to do and rearrange them on the calendar.
The tasks can be written down anywhere and can be later dragged and dropped into other lists. If there is a task you can’t get done on the specific day, TeuxDeux automatically rolls it over to the next day list. Furthermore, you can also schedule tasks as recurring daily.
Another interesting feature is that it supports Markdown. For those of you that are particular about text formats and presentation styles, this is a great tool to make lists and share them with others.
TeuxDeux supports sharing the app between up to 6 family members. Plus, your lists are yours to keep. This means you can download your to-do lists at any time.
Some of the features TeuxDeux has to offer include:
- Creating custom to-do lists
- Creating recurring tasks
- Create tasks as links to resources
- Task switching between lists
- Automated task roll-over
- Sync with calendar
- Support for text formatting with Markdown
- Sync on multiple devices
- Family sharing enabled (6 people)
- Mobile apps: iOS
Free trial and $3 per month.
Well, this marks the end of our top 5 best to do list apps. How do you manage to get your to do lists completed? Suggest the best to do list apps you have come across in the comments below.