We spend more than one-third of our waking hours working. As human beings, we strive to achieve more and outperform ourselves with every passing day.
We are in a constant circle of brainstorming new ways, planning for better results and trying to discover new methods and frameworks to make ourselves more efficient and our work more effective.
This continuous struggle can, if not managed well, result in negative effects on our productivity and health. In some cases, we get burned out; which leads to a loss of morale and ambition.
In order to make our lives easier personally and professionally, we make use of multiple apps day in and day out for planning projects as small as getting the daily grocery to ideating magnanimous project planning on an enterprise level.
However, at times juggling between multiple apps can get overwhelming. After all, technology is supposed to make life easier.
There are dozens of free productivity apps floating the net and it can be difficult to really make a pick. So, we handpicked a list of apps that can give you more value for your time.
Here is a list of 7 best free productivity apps that can help you achieve and retain your productivity by helping you streamline your routine and keeping your progress in check.
nTask comes first on our list of free productivity apps. Primarily an online task management software, designed and developed primarily for teams, this tool gives you all the options to live life as productive as it can be.
Loaded with a comprehensive and sophisticated feature set, this app presents itself with a simplified interface, easily learned and used by homemakers to freelancers and teams to enterprises.
You can keep notes and use it as a simple to do list app or create an idea or chore as a task. You can create projects and associate multiple tasks under it. This helps you easily track ideas. You can monitor task status and project progress through reports and Gantt charts.
Plus, with resource planning and budget allocation, you can keep your teams productive and project implementation effective throughout the project development cycle.
nTask is a simple all-in-one project management app that provides its users with comprehensive seven natively built modules including tasks, projects, risks, issues and meeting management.
This means you don’t have to juggle between multiple apps for getting things done hence making you more productive. These modules facilitate the teams to avoid paying for third-party integrations or constant switching between multiple tools for numerous projects and multiple workspaces.
According to Lucid Agency – an award-winning agency specializing in digital marketing, advertising and user-focused web & app design, “This is a great option for small development teams that have a need for free bug-tracking or task assignment.”
This top productivity app also helps you stay in sync with updates and keeps you and your team on track through reminders and alerts.
With so many features nTask has to offer, here is a glimpse of its key features:
- Two-Factor Authentication for extensive security
- A simple user interface with access to a wide range of modules.
- Team specific workspaces that can be managed and monitored simultaneously.
- Create, assign, organize, prioritize and share tasks
- Create and assign projects
- Comment on and assign tasks to projects or structure them independently
- Convert comments to tasks using Slack
- Select from multiple statuses for a task
- Extensive project management resources including project reports, Gantt charts and project timelines to manage and monitor project progress
- A dedicated timesheets management and time tracking module with the option of creating and managing team specific sections for employee task efforts and payroll.
- A detailed meeting management feature to help teams stay in sync. You can arrange and schedule meetings, be it one time or recurring meetings. Plus, it lets you send invites to attendees, add meeting details and specify follow up procedures.
- Issue management module to facilitate identification and listing down of issues related to multiple tasks. You can list the issue along with the Issue owner and relevant details to track issue maintenance.
- Risk management helps you identify and keep track of potential risks. You can list down the risk and assign a risk owner in order to track risk management.
- Powerful search and filter tools that help you search for tasks, projects, meetings, issues, and risks. You can even save more frequently used filters.
- Alerts, notifications, and reminders to keep teams on track.
- Third party access
- iOS and Android mobile apps
Free and Pro ($2.99 per month per user with an annual billing) plans.
nTask ranked #1 on Techworld’s list of Best free project management software programs.
Productivity begins with the very inception of a new idea, which can be at any place and at any time. It is important to not let those ideas slip by and have them noted. Evernote helps you do just that – take notes along the way.
With this second app on our list of the best free productivity apps, you can save links, pictures, screenshots, links, articles, travel documents and even sections of a write up. The application comes with task listing and archiving functionalities for easy accessibility.
With the option of setting reminders and email alerts, you don’t have to risk missing out on sharing important information or completing a task. You can also search for the required notes without going over tons of files. With Evernote Food, you can collect food related ideas and information and Evernote Clearly helps you with tasks related to clearing web content.
Some of the core features this app provides are:
- Ability to capture and save links, files, photos, notes, web clips, itineraries, confirmations, travel documents
- Annotation and markup
- Reminders and Email notifications
- Search option
- Web and Mobile interface
- Web clipping and Web clipper browser extensions
- Audio recording
- Shapes, arrows and quick sketches
- Edit rich text and sketches
- Sync handmade sketches with notes to any device
- Share notes and collaborate on files
- Bookmark webpages
- Multiple device availability
- Single storage for online resources
Basic (Free), Premium ($ 7.99 per user per month) and Business ($ 14.99 per user per month) plans.
Trackly, a productivity tracker for teams, listed Evernote #8 on its list of The Best 77 Productivity Tools in 2018.
Standard Notes is an open source productivity app that is both free and secure. With end-to-end AES-256 encryption, this app makes sure that any data sent across the servers is encrypted. This means it is protected against loss, manipulation of even leakage of data.
How important is this? Well, according to Accenture, there are more than 130 large-scale, targeted breaches in the U.S. every year – and this number is growing by a whopping 27 percent per year.
Plus, this software is simple and lightweight. Without complicated features, it lets you sync unlimited data across multiple platforms.
You can avail the following features with Standard Notes:
- Two-factor authentication for security
- AES-256 encryption for privacy
- Note version history (up to 100 years)
- Automated backups of data to Email, Dropbox, OneDrive, and Google Drive
- Automatic sync (unlimited data)
- Unlimited access to powerful extensions, editors, and themes
- Web and Offline access
- Unlimited devices
- Apps on Mac, Windows, iOS, Android, and Linux
Free and Extended ($34.99 per annum) plans.
Productivity is all about saving time and doing more constructive work. For example, why type information or capture images to manage later if you can scan existing information and have it organized into various elements on its own? With Scanbot, you can store information through single scans and have that information used in multiple ways.
With a click, you can digitize important documents, images, and multiple pages of a contract. You can store information and send it as fax in more than 50 countries.
What’s more? It’s super smart. You don’t have to spend time adjusting images taken in a hurry. Scanbot will do that for you too through perspective correction. The scanned document is straightened and positioned correctly before converting into a PDF file.
With Scanbot, you can manage your documents as follows:
- Scan multiple types of documents including receipts, receipts, business cards, contracts, whiteboards, flip charts notes, and newspaper articles
- Detect QR codes for contacts, locations, URLs, locations, hotspots and more
- Scan product barcodes and search for it
- Save documents to specific folders
- Sharing documents through email
- Optimize scans for black and white, grayscale as well as color
- Save scans to cloud service through customized settings for a specific folder and automatically
- Save scans in PDF or JPEG file formats
- OCR (optical character recognition) for automatic text recognition from scanned documents
- File search through OCR
- Add signatures, comments and highlight important information
- Lock Scanbot with a unique passcode or with your fingerprint (Touch ID, iOS 8+ only). Protect your PDF scans, too.
- Call numbers, open URLs or navigate straight from the scanned documents
- Name templates for your scans (date, time or location)
- Rename scans via placeholders of calendar entries, date, time, location or custom placeholders.
- Multiple themes
Scanbot comes with a Free and Paid ($ 6.99) plan.
If you have an active social media life, you need Buffer. Buffer is designed and created primarily for helping you manage social media content. You can share content through multiple social media sites and stay connected to all social media accounts all the while facilitating your social media schedule and posts.
Buffer helps you accomplish this by logging into social media sites in one go instead of you having to log in manually for each site. The software basically does this through automatic post scheduling on all the linked social media sites, taking away the worries of daily posting.
If you own a small business or are a freelancer, this productivity app can be a great asset professionally. It comes with added feature of data analytics.
Through a number of clicks, retweets, user reach and mentions, you can assess the effectiveness of posts and easily carry out community management.
Plus, this top productivity app helps you integrate with integration with WordPress, Chrome, RSS readers, and other significant tools for tracing out content.
Here is a list of features and facilities Buffer can offer you:
- 2-step account login (for security)
- Multiple posts and tweets with one click
- Customized scheduling
- Social profile sharing
- Multi-media format sharing
- Team collaboration (through administrator rights)
- Profile management
- Analytics and insights
- Statistics monitoring and comparison
- RSS feeds connectivity
- iOS and Android support
Starter (Free, Pro: $15 per month) and Business (Small: $99 per month, Medium: $199 per month, Large: $399 per month) plans.
Thrive Agency ranked Buffer #1 on their list of PM Tools for Social Media Managers. Thrive is a creative digital marketing agency headquartered in Texas working with clients globally to offer digital value.
We come across eye catching articles, videos, memes and so much on a daily basis. However, as most of us are pressed for time running about our work and life routine, more often than not, we don’t get the time to really look into these.
Plus, it is hard to save multiple sources on information only be to visited later through multiple sites and apps. It would be so much easier if we could hand pick them and keep it in our pocket for easy access, right? Well, now, you literally can.
Making it to the list of top free productivity apps, Pocket helps you save links, articles, videos, pictures and so much more to easily access later. You don’t have to go back to various websites and social sites, Pocket will get the data for you and display on its interface.
Starting out as Read It Later, designed for saving articles, this productivity app evolved into a more general-purpose service with the ability to save images, videos, links and a lot more. And we are glad it did.
Some of the cool things you can do with this app include:
- Save from multiple resources including your browser and more than 800 apps including Twitter, Flipboard, and Feedly
- Automated syncs with your phone, tablet, and computer
- Offline access to and viewing of articles and webpages
- Advanced Search Operators
- Search through Title or URL
- Search Full-Text, Tag, Author, or Topic
- Sort Search Results by Relevance or Date Saved
- View Recent Searches
- Backup of articles and webpages saved
- Suggested Tags for quick organization
Pocket and Pocket Premium (4.99$ per month or 44.99$ per annum) plans.
The last tool on our list of the best free productivity apps is Cisco Webex Teams (formerly known as Cisco) Spark.
This app helps your team achieve optimum collaboration making team work easier and teams more productive. In one app, you get to arrange meetings, message teams, share files, make video calls and carry out whiteboarding all the while integrating with WebEx.
Plus, Cisco holds a prominent place in tech security and networking. Cisco Webex Teams helps your data and conversions stay protected against data breaches and security threats.
Here are some features you can avail making your meetings and collaboration more productive:
- Team collaboration through group chats, private messages, and video calls
- Organize group chats in teams and spaces
- Built-in whiteboard app and companion device for brainstorming ideas
- Switch devices during the same call
- Video conferencing (full-screen, up to 7 video feeds, or split-screen)
- VoIP or phone call-in
- Markup tools and whiteboard
- Record meetings (including video)
- Share the presenter role
- Free mobile apps
- Availability on Android, iOS, Windows, Mac, and Web apps
You can try Cisco Webex Teams for Free or avail one its Premium pricing plans (Premium 8 at $24 per month, Premium 25 at $49, Premium 100 at $69)
1. Drag App for Chrome:
Drag is a task management tool that helps users to streamline their inbox for easy communication. The platform turns your email inbox into respective Kanban boards for convenient tracking and accessibility. The application integrates with other Google Apps without any trouble, facilitating the users to minimize switching between multiple applications.
2. Password Boss
With a plethora of sites on internet, it becomes difficult to remember each and every password. Password Boss does this for you. It is a free password manager which keeps track of all your passwords for you and helps you to synchronize them to each and every site without any risk of data loss.
Agilean is a project management software designed for IT enterprises. The software provides Kanban boards for planning and execution of respective projects and tasks. Agilean provides analytics and reports for each task as well, which makes monitoring and controlling easy for the user. Additional features such as task dependencies, Gantt charts, and integration with other applications are also offered.
Apiumhub ranks Agilean as no. 1 on their list of 13 Agile PM Tools You Should Know. Apiumhub is a software development company based in Barcelona that transformed into a tech hub, mainly offering services of mobile app development, web development & software architecture.
Another notable addition to our list of free productivity apps is Trackly. Keeping track of daily time spent on multiple activities can become difficult, especially if you’re working on more than one task at a time.
Trackly is a productivity tracker for you and your team, which monitors your daily time spent on various activities and lets you analyze your behavior patterns regarding the time being invested in each activity, consequently helping you to effectively manage your time.
Do you have a list of top free productivity apps that you and your teams standby? Give your suggestions in the comments below.