Published on May 14, 2020
Updated on September 24, 2020
Read time 40 minutes
The 51 Best Free Productivity Apps of 2020
In this article, Fred Wilson explores the 51 best free productivity apps of 2020.
We spend more than one-third of our waking hours working. As human beings, we strive to achieve more and outperform ourselves with every passing day.
We are in a constant circle of brainstorming new ways, planning for better results, and trying to discover new methods and frameworks to make ourselves more efficient and our work more effective.
This continuous struggle can, if not managed well, result in negative effects on our productivity and health. In some cases, we get burned out; which leads to a loss of morale and ambition.
In order to make our lives easier personally and professionally, we make use of multiple apps day in and day out for planning projects as small as getting the daily grocery to ideating magnanimous project planning on an enterprise level.
However, at times juggling between multiple productivity apps can get overwhelming. After all, technology is supposed to make life easier.
There are dozens of free productivity apps floating the net and it can be difficult to really make a pick. So, we handpicked a list of personal productivity apps that can give you more value for your time.
If you’re looking for apps for small businesses to accept payments, improve productivity, provide customer service, or accounting software; you’re at the right place. We have you covered with the best business productivity apps available in the market.
Here is a list of the 51 best free productivity apps that can help you achieve and retain your productivity by helping you streamline your routine and keeping your progress in check.
Table of Contents
The 51 Best Free Productivity Apps of 2020:
- Standard Notes
- Cisco WebEx Teams
- Hubstaff Tasks
- Google Drive
- Google Keep
- Office 365
- Forest App
- Troop Messenger
- HubSpot CRM
- iA Writer
- Drag App for Chrome
nTask comes first on our list of free productivity apps. Primarily an online task management software, designed and developed primarily for teams, this tool gives you all the options to live life as productive as it can be.
Loaded with a comprehensive and sophisticated feature set, this free productivity app presents itself with a simplified interface, easily learned and used by homemakers to freelancers and teams to enterprises to get more productive.
nTask is a simple all-in-one task and project management app that provides its users with comprehensive seven natively built modules including tasks, projects, risks, issues, and meeting management.
This means you don’t have to juggle between multiple apps for getting things done hence making you more productive. These modules facilitate the teams to avoid paying for third-party integrations or constant switching between multiple tools for numerous projects and multiple workspaces.
You can keep notes and use it as a simple to-do list app or create an idea or chore as a task. It helps you to create projects and assign multiple tasks to them. This helps you to easily track ideas, monitor task status, and project progress through Gantt charts.
Plus, with resource planning and budget allocation, you can keep your teams productive and project implementation effective throughout the project development cycle.
According to Lucid Agency – an award-winning agency specializing in digital marketing, advertising, and user-focused web & app design, “This is a great option for small development teams that have a need for free bug-tracking or task assignment.”
This top Productivity app also helps you stay in sync with updates and keeps you and your team on track through reminders and alerts.
With so many features nTask has to offer, here is a glimpse of its key features:
- Two-Factor Authentication for extensive security
- A simple user interface with access to a wide range of modules.
- Team specific workspaces that can be managed and monitored simultaneously.
- Create, assign, organize, prioritize and share tasks
- Create and assign projects
- Comment on and assign tasks to projects or structure them independently
- Convert comments to tasks using Slack
- Select from multiple statuses for a task
- Extensive project management resources including project reports, Gantt charts, and project timelines to manage and monitor project progress
- A dedicated timesheets management and time tracking module with the option of creating and managing team-specific sections for employee task efforts and payroll.
- A detailed meeting management feature to help teams stay in sync. You can arrange and schedule meetings, be it one time or recurring meetings. Plus, it lets you send invites to attendees, add meeting details, and specify follow up procedures.
- Issue management module to facilitate the identification and listing down of issues related to multiple tasks. You can list the issue along with the Issue owner and relevant details to track issue maintenance.
- Risk management helps you identify and keep track of potential risks. You can list down the risk and assign a risk owner in order to track risk management.
- Powerful search and filter tools that help you search for tasks, projects, meetings, issues, and risks. You can even save more frequently used filters.
- Alerts, notifications, and reminders to keep teams on track.
- Third-party access
- nTask is one of the best iPad Productivity Apps and Best Android Productivity Apps
- Free and Pro (starting at $1 per month per user with annual billing) plans.
- nTask is ranked #3 on Techworld’s list of the Best Free Project Management Software.
Skyrocket team productivity with nTask, it’s free!
Manage all your tasks, projects, meetings, timesheets and more in one place. Sign up today!
#2 in this roundup for the best productivity apps is a Gantt chart tool – GanttPRO. Single users, team leaders, project managers, CEOs, etc. will be much more productive in managing plans and projects if every assignment, task, or duty will be clearly visualized on a timeline.
GanttPRO gives a perfect opportunity to plan, track, manage, and successfully complete projects in a timely manner and within budget.
In GanttPRO, users can create and assign multiple tasks, track progress, collaborate on projects, invite team members or create virtual resources to work with them on a common goal.
To become an advanced user of the tool, you need up to 10 minutes. The software offers a nice UX/UI design and an intuitive interface.
With GanttPRO, you can:
- Create and assign tasks
- Create dependencies
- Track the progress of each task and project
- Set project and personal working calendars
- Export charts
- Share via public URL
- Create baselines
- Manage resources
- Save own projects as templates
- Undo actions
- Browse the history of changes in a project
- Set project and personal working calendars
- Free trial. Paid plans start at $5.90 per user per month.
Productivity begins with the very inception of a new idea, which can be at any place and at any time. It is important to not let those ideas slip by and have them noted. Evernote helps you do just that – take notes along the way.
With this third app on our list of the best free productivity apps, you can save links, pictures, screenshots, links, articles, travel documents, and even sections of a write-up. The application comes with task listing and archiving functionalities for easy accessibility.
With the option of setting reminders and email alerts, you don’t have to risk missing out on sharing important information or completing a task. You can also search for the required notes without going over tons of files. With Evernote Food, you can collect food-related ideas and information and Evernote Clearly helps you with tasks related to clearing web content.
Some of the core features this app provides are:
- Ability to capture and save links, files, photos, notes, web clips, itineraries, confirmations, travel documents
- Annotation and markup
- Reminders and Email notifications
- Search option
- Web and Mobile interface
- Web clipping and Web clipper browser extensions
- Audio recording
- Shapes, arrows and quick sketches
- Edit rich text and sketches
- Sync handmade sketches with notes to any device
- Share notes and collaborate on files
- Bookmark web pages
- Multiple device availability
- Single storage for online resources
- Basic (Free), Premium ($ 7.99 per user per month), and Business ($ 14.99 per user per month) plans.
- Trackly, a productivity tracker for teams, listed Evernote #8 on its list of The Best Productivity Tools in 2019.
Standard Notes is an open-source personal productivity app that is both free and secure. With end-to-end AES-256 encryption, this small business productivity app makes sure that any data sent across the servers is encrypted. This means it is protected against loss, manipulation, or even leakage of data.
How important is this? Well, according to Accenture, there are more than 130 large-scale, targeted breaches in the U.S. every year – and this number is growing by a whopping 27 percent per year.
Plus, this software is simple and lightweight. Without complicated features, it lets you sync unlimited data across multiple platforms.
You can avail the following features with Standard Notes:
- Two-factor authentication for security
- AES-256 encryption for privacy
- Note version history (up to 100 years)
- Automated backups of data to Email, Dropbox, OneDrive, and Google Drive
- Automatic sync (unlimited data)
- Unlimited access to powerful extensions, editors, and themes
- Web and Offline access
- Unlimited devices
- Best Productivity Apps for Mac, Windows, Best Productivity Apps for iPhone, Android, and Linux
- Free and Extended ($34.99 per annum) plan.
Productivity is all about saving time and doing more constructive work. For example, why type information or capture images to manage later if you can scan existing information and have it organized into various elements on its own? With Scanbot, you can store information through single scans and have that information used in multiple ways.
With a click, you can digitize important documents, images, and multiple pages of a contract. You can store information and send it to fax in more than 50 countries.
What’s more? It’s super smart. You don’t have to spend time adjusting images taken in a hurry. Scanbot will do that for you too through perspective correction. The scanned document is straightened and positioned correctly before converting it into a PDF file.
With Scanbot, you can manage your documents as follows:
- Scan multiple types of documents including receipts, receipts, business cards, contracts, whiteboards, flip charts notes, and newspaper articles
- Detect QR codes for contacts, locations, URLs, locations, hotspots and more
- Scan product barcodes and search for it
- Save documents to specific folders
- Sharing documents through email
- Optimize scans for black and white, grayscale as well as color
- Save scans to cloud service through customized settings for a specific folder and automatically
- Save scans in PDF or JPEG file formats
- OCR (optical character recognition) for automatic text recognition from scanned documents
- File search through OCR
- Add signatures, comments and highlight important information
- Lock Scanbot with a unique passcode or with your fingerprint (Touch ID, iOS 8+ only). Protect your PDF scans, too.
- Call numbers, open URLs or navigate straight from the scanned documents
- Name templates for your scans (date, time or location)
- Rename scans via placeholders of calendar entries, date, time, location or custom placeholders.
- Multiple themes
- Supported as an iPad Productivity Apps
- Scanbot comes with a Free and Paid ($ 6.99) plan.
If you have an active social media life, you need Buffer. Buffer is designed and created primarily for helping you manage social media content. You can share content through multiple social media sites and stay connected to all social media accounts all the while facilitating your social media schedule and posts.
Buffer helps you accomplish this by logging into social media sites in one go instead of you having to log in manually for each site. The software basically does this through automatic post scheduling on all the linked social media sites, taking away the worries of daily posting.
If you own a small business or are a freelancer, this productivity app can be a great asset professionally. It also comes with advanced data analytics.
Through a number of clicks, retweets, user reach, and mentions, you can assess the effectiveness of posts and easily carry out community management.
Plus, this top productivity app helps you integrate with integration with WordPress, Chrome, RSS readers, and other significant tools for tracing out content.
Here is a list of features and facilities Buffer can offer you:
- 2-step account login (for security)
- Multiple posts and tweets with one click
- Customized scheduling
- Social profile sharing
- Multi-media format sharing
- Team collaboration (through administrator rights)
- Profile management
- Analytics and insights
- Statistics monitoring and comparison
- RSS feeds connectivity
- iOS and Android support
- Category: Part of the Best Productivity Apps for Mac
- Starter (Free, Pro: $15 per month) and Business (Small: $99 per month, Medium: $199 per month, Large: $399 per month) plans.
- Thrive Agency ranked Buffer #1 on its list of PM Tools for Social Media Managers. Thrive is a creative digital marketing agency headquartered in Texas working with clients globally to offer digital value.
We come across an eye-catching article, videos, memes and so much on a daily basis. However, as most of us are pressed for time running about our work and life routine, more often than not, we don’t get the time to really look into these.
Plus, it is hard to save multiple sources on information only be to visited later through multiple sites and apps. It would be so much easier if we could handpick them and keep it in our pocket for easy access, right? Well, now, you literally can.
Making it to the list of top free productivity apps, Pocket helps you save links, articles, videos, pictures and so much more to easily access later. You don’t have to go back to various websites and social sites, Pocket will get the data for you and display on its interface.
Starting out as Read It Later, designed for saving articles, this productivity app evolved into a more general-purpose service with the ability to save images, videos, links and a lot more. And we are glad it did.
Some of the cool things you can do with this app include:
- Save from multiple resources including your browser and more than 800 apps including Twitter, Flipboard, and Feedly
- Automated syncs with your phone, tablet, and computer
- Offline access to and viewing of articles and webpages
- Advanced Search Operators
- Search through Title or URL
- Search Full-Text, Tag, Author, or Topic
- Sort Search Results by Relevance or Date Saved
- View Recent Searches
- Backup of articles and webpages saved
- Suggested Tags for quick organization
- Pocket and Pocket Premium (4.99$ per month or 44.99$ per annum) plans.
#8 on our list of the best free small business productivity apps is Cisco Webex Teams (formerly known as Cisco) Spark.
This app helps your team achieve optimum collaboration making teamwork easier and teams more productive. In one app, you get to arrange meetings, message teams, share files, make video calls and carry out whiteboarding all the while integrating with WebEx.
Plus, Cisco holds a prominent place in tech security and networking. Cisco Webex Teams helps your data and conversions stay protected against data breaches and security threats.
Here are some features you can avail making your meetings and collaboration more productive:
- Team collaboration through group chats, private messages, and video calls
- Organize group chats in teams and spaces
- Built-in whiteboard app and companion device for brainstorming ideas
- Switch devices during the same call
- Video conferencing (full-screen, up to 7 video feeds, or split-screen)
- VoIP or phone call-in
- Markup tools and whiteboard
- Record meetings (including video)
- Share the presenter role
- Free mobile apps
- Availability on Best Productivity Apps for Android, iOS, Windows, Mac, and Web apps
- You can try Cisco Webex Teams for Free or avail one of its Premium pricing plans (Premium 8 at $24 per month, Premium 25 at $49, Premium 100 at $69).
On #9, we have MindMeister. A powerful mind mapping tool allows users to visually structure ideas and share with team members to brainstorm on them. MindMeister is one of the best free productivity apps to ideate and document thought processes as you go along.
With MindMeister, you can easily develop mind maps in the form of slides and share with relevant team members to collaborate on them. Team members can comment on all the ideas, vote on them, and discuss the relevant changes required.
Team members can also see all the changes that are made in a particular mind map so that everyone stays updated on a particular activity.
- Built-in presentations
- Customized themes
- Shareable links of mind maps
- Due dates and priorities
- Assign tasks
- Built-in mind map templates
- File attachments
- History mode for retrieving older ideas
- Meeting management within specific mind maps
- Integration with MeisterTask for project management
- Basic (Free), Personal ($4.99 per month), Pro ($8.25 per user per month), and Business ($12.49 per user per month) plans.
The next app on our list of free productivity apps is Harvest. A time tracking tool that doubles as an invoicing application. Harvest enables you to track time and expenses being spent on a particular task by generating timesheets.
The timesheets are also utilized to track the time each individual spends on a specific task compared with their capacity, on a weekly basis.
Through Harvest, you can generate invoices for your clients by logging billable hours and the corresponding expenses. This creates transparency while producing invoices.
The app comes with the following key features:
- Time tracking
- Expense tracking
- Invoice management
- Automatic reminders
- Notes within tasks
- Working capacity tracking with actual work
- Multiple third-party application integrations
- Free (1 person, 2 projects), Solo ($12 one-person, unlimited projects), and Team ($12, 2+ persons and unlimited projects) plans. Harvest comes with a free trial period of 30 days.
Designing is an integral part of visual communication, and graphic designers go through multiple productivity hurdles throughout the day to come up with a perfect piece of art. Therefore, the 10th spot on our list of free productivity tools goes to Canva.
A simple design platform that provides an easy graphics design solution to teams. Coming with a diverse set of designing features, Canva enables users to create professional designs within a matter of a few minutes.
It’s a perfect tool for beginners and those who’re not really inclined towards advanced graphic design, as it comes with a vast set of images, fonts, and templates to help users build designs from scratch.
Out of numerous design features, some of the key ones are:
- Design grids
- Custom graphs and charts
- Photo straightener
- Built-in design templates
- Image transparency
- Photo editor
- Stickers and badges
- Photo frames
- Drag and drop functionality
- Free forever, Canva for work ($12.95 per user/month), and Canva enterprise (pricing upon request) plans.
A popular online presentation making platform, Prezi takes up #10 position in this collection of best free productivity apps.
Prezi adds fun and creativity to the way people make presentations by providing unique features to make the data more engaging and eye-catching. Instead of using traditional means of switching between slides, Prezi uses a canvas-based approach. You can create your presentations on one wide canvas, zooming in and out on particular frames to shift focus.
An easy-to-use tool, Prezi allows users to have complete control over how they want their presentations to look like with customized templates and a variety of other tools to choose from.
- Adding files and images
- Presentation analytics
- Zooming in and out
- Drag and drop interface
- Charts and graphs
- Integration with Slack and Salesforce
- Compatibility with Android and iOS devices
- Standard ($5 per month), Plus ($15 per month), and Premium ($59 per month) plans.
The 13th free productivity app on our list is Lucidchart. It’s an online diagramming tool that allows organizations and teams to create and share professional diagrams. The platform helps in creating flowcharts to cater to all kinds of business needs, ranging from simple flowchart diagrams to complex technical ones.
Coming with advanced tools, Lucidchart allows users to create all kinds of diagrams without any technical difficulty.
- Organizational charts
- Data flow diagrams
- Workflow diagrams
- Network diagrams
- Mind Maps
- Concept Maps
- Value Stream Maps
- Process Maps
- ER Diagrams
- Basic ($4.95 per month), Pro ($9.95 per month), Team ($20 per month), and Enterprise (pricing upon request) plans.
Time and again, we find ourselves working on more than one application to get things done. The perpetual need to hop from one app to another usually results in frustration and decreased productivity.
This is where Zapier comes into play! Integrating and automating the applications that you use daily to provide a streamlined user experience.
This free productivity app connects your applications and creates workflows, also known as Zaps so that you keep your focus on important things. By creating a Zap, the application essentially works on a cause-and-effect principle. You set up an action that is repeated every time a specific ‘trigger’ happens.
An example of this is getting a Slack notification every time you receive an email in Gmail. You just need to create a Zap once and the application will repeat it automatically without any need of further actions.
- Creation of Zaps
- Activity dashboard
- Online Zap templates
- Tasks management
- Tasks history
- 1000+ application integrations
- Basic (free forever), Premium (starting at $20) plans.
Next up, we have Zoom!
Giving us all the right reasons to include it in our list of free productivity apps, Zoom is designed primarily for video calls between team members. You can utilize the platform for all kinds of virtual team meetings, online conferences, and professional webinars.
An effective tool for remote teams, Zoom also allows screen sharing and whiteboarding, along with other collaboration features. Easily create a group of relevant team members and instantly start collaborating.
- Group collaboration
- Drag and drop file sharing
- Video meetings
- Screen sharing
- Audio calls
- Third-party application integrations
- Free, Pro ($14.99 per month/host), Business ($19.99 per month/host), and Enterprise ($19.99 per month/host) plans.
On #16, in this roundup of free top productivity apps, we have IFTTT or If This, Then That. The tool works on a similar principle of cause-and-effect by integrating multiple applications for you. Through IFTTT you can connect applications and devices, and the resulting combinations are called ‘Applets’.
By creating Applets, you’re connecting two devices and prompting the application to automatically complete the tasks for you. You can pre-define a task, and let the application complete it on one app, based on the condition on another app.
The tool comes with a pre-built Applets repository that you can easily utilize to make things easy for you, but you can also create them according to your preferences.
- Pre-built Applets
- 300+ Application integrations
- Home appliances integrations
- Activity dashboard
- Custom notifications
- Simple user-interface
17. Tick Tick
Among other prominent features, this productivity app comes with intelligent task creation using Siri. Trusted by leading organizations including LifeHacker, The App Times and more, Tick Tick can be your next best friend when it comes to productivity apps. Create tasks instantly and access them from anywhere.
With data backup and synchronization, you can be sure to keep your information protected at all times. Tick Tick also helps you save time by letting you convert emails into tasks. In addition, to keep matters concise and organized, you can group relevant lists into folders.
Tick Tick brings you the following feature set:
- Intelligent task creation using Siri
- Task management includes single and recurring tasks, assignment, scheduling on calendar, subtasks, priority, and tagging
- Pomo timer to track task duration
- Convert emails into tasks
- Comprehensive, shareable to-do lists to use personally or professionally
- Multiple reminders for schedules including location-based alerts
- Powerful calendar view
- Smart date parsing
- Data synchronization and backup
- Customizable themes and backgrounds
- Mobile apps for iOS and Android
- The premium plan can be availed at $27.99 annually (less than $2.4/month).
The thing about Any.do is that it is a fun, easy to work with yet super-efficient tool. This free productivity app gives you a neat set of options to get you through most of your tasks swiftly. On signing up, it welcomes you into creating your first list with options to select the number of tasks you would like to achieve for the week.
The menu includes Starter (1 to 5 tasks), Pro (10 to 20 tasks), All-Star (20 – 50 tasks) and Super-Star (50+ tasks) – with fun side notes of encouragement. After the initial setting, the mainboard offers a view of All Tasks, some to do Today, Tomorrow, Upcoming or Someday (yes, that is a real option).
You can choose to create personal or work-related tasks or create customized lists. You have an option to add reminders, create subtasks and share the created tasks. In addition, you can upload or add/drop files as attachments for further clarity.
Here are some of the key features you can use with Any.do to get anything done:
- Task management includes the creation of lists with a number of tasks and subtasks, organize and prioritize tasks with colors
- Option to switch tasks between existing lists
- View lists together or on separate cards
- Share, delegate and discuss tasks with personalized notes
- Upload or Add/Drop files as attachments
- Option to sort tasks by time or lists
- Search for tasks and lists
- Customize recurring tasks
- Repeating reminders (including location-based reminders) for tasks
- Customize Backgrounds
- Mobile apps for iOS and Android
- Any.do offers Free and Premium ($2.99 per month) plans.
We come across multiple instances in a day where we need to quickly scan a document, personal identification cards or images. These materials may be required for professional use or personal notes.
CamScanner makes it easy to scan an array of materials on the go, edit them and share them externally.
Instead of relying on text, you can just take a snap and let the app enhance image quality and declutter the background. You can even export these files in multiple formats and through various channels.
A really cool feature is the OCR (optical character recognition) that helps you extract texts from images for further editing or sharing.
CamScanner makes your life easy with the following feature set:
- Mobile scanner to scan anything including images, documents, etc.
- OCR (converting image to text) in 16 languages.
- Auto edge cropping to clean scanned image or document.
- Synchronize with multiple devices.
- Supports wireless printing and global faxing
- Share and collaborate through multiple channels including email, WhatsApp, WeChat or external links.
- Mobile apps for iOS and Android
- CamScanner comes with Free, Premium ($ 4.99 per month) and Business ($ 6.99 per month per user) plans.
RescueTime is a free productivity app that stands up to its name i.e. it does just that – rescues you from wasting time helping you stay on track. With a central dashboard that can be set to daily, weekly or yearly, you can track time spent online as well as offline.
You can choose from a number of reports spanning time spent on different apps and websites to the goals accomplished. You can ensure you stay on top of your game by monitoring your goals through weekly email reports, the goals report itself or simply through the dashboard.
You can even create alerts and notifications for goals reached. A cool thing about RescueTime is that you can block out access to distracting websites during a certain time period. This helps you stay focused instead of wandering off to more unproductive activities.
Avail the following set of characteristics with RescueTime:
- Time tracking with detailed reports for time spent on applications and websites. Multiple types of reports including reports on time spent in different categories, level of productivity, and the number of goals achieved.
- A weekly email report summarizing your activities and productivity score.
- Central dashboard to view progress against goals set, in weekly email report and goals report.
- Pre-defined and customizable categories for grouping activities with built-in productivity scores that cater to thousands of websites and applications.
- Block access to distracting sites to retain focus on the work at hand.
- Offline time logging for meetings, phone calls, as well as time spent on travel.
- Create alerts and notifications about goal accomplishments and other things.
- Log-able highlights the activities accomplished throughout the day.
- Mobile app for Android
- RescueTime offers a Free and Premium plan at $4.50 per month or $36 per year.
21. Hubstaff Tasks
Hubstaff Tasks is a visual project management tool that offers teams a smarter way to work. It is built with Agile in mind and makes use of Kanban boards to help teams organize projects and accomplish tasks with efficiency.
You can add details, create checklists, and communicate with team members using task cards. Moving tasks from one stage to another will send notifications to task assignees and is done with a simple drag-and-drop mechanism.
Its Sprints feature simplifies prioritizing tasks and beating deadlines. This allows you to easily stay on top of work and keep projects moving forward. With Hubstaff Tasks’s custom workflows, you can automatically assign tasks to team members and move tasks to the next project stage with just one click.
Hubstaff Tasks’s intuitive interface makes it easy to get the hang of so you can start collaborating right away.
- Assign people and add followers to tasks
- Create checklists and progress bars inside tasks
- Create task labels and add them to task cards
- Prioritize tasks with Agile Sprints
- Automate the process of assigning tasks to people and moving them to the next stages with custom workflows
- Communicate with and mention team members in task comments
- Stay updated with your team’s progress with automated stand-ups
- Free, Premium ($5 per user/month) plans.
Hours is a free productivity apps that you can use personally or for your teams. With easy to set up options and simplified navigation, you can efficiently generate reports with multiple options and share them. You even have the option of generating reports with or without data visuals.
On logging in, you are welcomed into a central dashboard with available modules in the left panel for easy access. A centralized timeline helps you toggle between weeks with the option of setting start and end dates through the time block. There is a timesheet option to log and view billable hours.
You may even exclude team time from reports generated for personal progress monitoring. In addition, you can create unique settings for your time reports through time formats, units of time measurement as well as setting the start of the week.
With Hours, you can make use of the following features:
- Central dashboard with modules for reporting, setting timers and downloads.
- Multiple timers can be switched between.
- Option to create multiple teams.
- Data analysis in part or whole through reports and visuals on multiple levels.
- Timeline to monitor progress with an option to make adjustments by dragging the start or end time of a time block and switch between weeks
- Timesheets for managing hours done through the selected week.
- Report generation with options of Detail or Summary.
- Primary and Secondary group reports through criteria including Person, Project, Track.
- Options to show/hide data visualizations, start and end times and time as decimals.
- Share report externally through a generated link.
- Option to download, generate CSV reports and print them.
- Settings module with options to set time formats, units of time measurement and setting start day of the week.
- Snapping and rounding option for time.
- Option to exclude team time from personal reports.
- Option to switch from personal app to team tool in order to track, assess and report time spent.
- Mobile app for iOS
- Hours offers a Free and Pro plan at $8 per user per month.
Trello is one of the first free productivity apps that pop in mind whenever task management is in question. An easy to use a tool, Trello optimizes your work by breaking it down into respective categories of progress they’re currently in. The tool does so through customizable Kanban boards.
The boards are shareable and you can invite anyone to collaborate on your project progress over time. Although Trello might not be suitable for you if you’re looking for an advanced task management solution, it offers all the essentials for effectively tracking your team performance.
The cards within boards act as subtasks. They can be freely moved from one (customizable) category to another to visualize the workflow and take appropriate decisions on what to do next.
- Kanban boards
- Easy drag and drop functionality
- Tags, labels, and categories
- Tasks assignment
- Checklists management
- Email notifications and reminders
- Comments and file attachments
- Public and private access to boards
- Free, Business Class ($9.99 per user/month), and Enterprise ($20.83 per user/month) plans
With over 8 million daily active users, Slack is one of the team free productivity apps you need if you don’t want the information to fall through the cracks. A single platform for your team to timely collaborate on things that matter without any fear of missing out.
Through distinct channels, classify your conversations on the basis of projects, tasks, or teams to keep your threads relevant. The team mention feature allows you to tag respective team members and make roles clear.
You can also voice or video call from within Slack with your team members and even share screens if required.
- Distinct team channels
- Drag and drop for file uploads
- Team mentions
- Audio and video calls
- Emoji support
- Ability to star and pin messages
- Archive chat
- Hundreds of third-party application integrations
- Free, Standard ($6.67 per user/month), Plus ($12.50 per user/month), Enterprise Grid (pricing upon request) plans
With plenty of applications to go through the day, remembering their passwords is an additional struggle that can keep you on your toes. Not to worry! We have a productivity app for that too. LastPass saves all your passwords for you.
Through this browser extension, you don’t have to manually enter your passwords each time you access any application. Just remember your LastPass master password and the tool automatically saves all your app logins for you.
The built-in password generator allows you to create strong passwords to further protect your accounts against hacking.
- Two-factor authentication
- Password generator
- Data encryption
- Digital wallet for online shopping
- One-to-one sharing of passwords and notes
- Single sign-on for enterprises
- Fingerprint login
- Secure username generator
- Premium ($3 per month – one user), Families ($4 per month – 6 users), Teams ($4 per user – 5-50 users), and Enterprise ($6 per user – 5+ users) plans.
With an easy to use interface and excellent image editing tools, Snagit makes it to one of our top picks for best productivity apps.
Add context to your discussions with this productivity app which lets you perfectly capture and share screenshots with your team members to collaborate seamlessly. The application comes with a built-in screenshot editor which allows you to instantly make changes to the picture and communicate the desired message.
Through the screen recorder feature, easily record yourself while working through things and share across your team to clear all ambiguities. Moreover, you can also add notes, text, or arrows to your images.
- Screen recorder
- Screenshot editor
- Image combining tool
- Scrolling screen capture
- Audio recorder
- GIF creator to add to any document
- Video clips trimmer
- Third-party application integrations
- Snagit caters to a variety of industries and their pricing plans are designed accordingly. The 4 main categories of plans are Individual, Business, Education, and Government and non-profit. The pricing varies with the number of users.
Hate typing for keeping your notes organized? Otter can be one of the best free productivity apps for you. Working on the algorithm of voice recognition, it is a smart note-taking solution for teams who need quick answers.
Record audio and the application will transcribe it into smart notes for you, eliminating the hassle of manual typing for keeping track. This productivity app caters all kinds of conversations, ranging from classroom lectures to more professional team meetings for reviewing and collaborating on critical matters.
For teams, you can also conveniently create groups and share voice notes to keep everyone on the same page.
- Audio recorder
- Public and private notes
- Shareable voice notes
- File attachments
- Search filter to find the desired results
- Audio importer
- Integration with Zoom
- Free, Premium ($9.99 per month), and Enterprise (upon request) plans.
Customer feedback is considered crucial in every business operation and this productivity app believes the same.
Mopinion is a data analysis and reporting solution that helps you analyze user feedback from your website and mobile apps. Easily gather feedback through real-time customizable forms and comprehensively analyze the data to make informed decisions.
The application facilitates multiple methods of collecting data, that is, through email, in-page, and in-app feedback to provide maximum flexibility. The tool not only analyzes the feedback data, but it also runs analysis on text, sentiments (emojis), and most commonly used words to exactly interpret what the user wants.
- Data analytics
- Customizable feedback forms
- Multi-channel feedback collection
- Text analysis
- Sentiments analysis
- Trend analysis
- Email alerts and reminders
- Integration with project management tools
- Mopinion comes with multiple plans facilitating small teams, businesses, and digital agencies. The plans further have sub plans catering your team needs.
29. Google Drive
In today’s world, information overload can drive you insane if you don’t have a proper channel to store it. That’s why you need Google Drive as your next go-to free productivity apps. It’s a single place to store all your files, both personal and professional.
You can access all of your saved files from anywhere through easy syncing of your devices, and even invite other people to view and make changes to your files for streamlined team communication. Additionally, all of the Google suite apps, including Docs, Sheets, and Slides come integrated with your Drive to smartly manage all of your professional needs.
With a Google account, you get the first 15 GB storage space for free.
- File attachments of all kinds, including documents
- Folders and files sharing with anyone to collaborate seamlessly
- Easy syncing with computer, mobile, and tablet for quick access
- Powerful integration with third-party applications
- Docs, Sheets, and Slides to handle all of your work documents
- 15 GB free storage space to help you get started
- Files and folders’ backup
- Free for 15 GB storage. $1.99 per month for 100 GB storage.
30. Google Keep
If you have a knack for sticky notes, Google Keep is for you. It is a sticky note app powered by Google. This is one of the free productivity apps that lets you quickly jot down your thoughts before they slip your mind. Simple and beautiful, the app lets you quickly create a to-do list to get a heads up for what lies ahead. The different colored sticky notes make organizing and retrieving notes quick and easy.
You can set location and time-based reminders with your to-dos so that you never have to miss a detail. The tool also provides real-time collaboration with friends, family, and colleagues to instantly make changes to your checklists.
The quick search feature allows you to look up for your desired notes instantly and fetch the needed information in no time.
- Color-coded sticky notes
- Checklists management
- Sharing of lists for easy collaboration
- Sorting filters to improve accessibility
- Time-based reminders
- Location-based reminders
- Voice commands
- Conversion of notes to Docs
- Integration with Google Drive
- Google Keep is free.
31. Office 365
One of the leading productivity apps one can get their hands on is Office 365. A full-featured suite of applications that make your work more streamlined and effortless. The full range of tools Office 365 comes with include Outlook, OneDrive, OneNote, Word, Excel, Microsoft Teams, PowerPoint, SharePoint, Yammer, and more.
Each individual app comes with its own set of rich features that make information handling enhanced and powerful. The best part is that Office 365 can be easily synced with all of your devices to help you take your work wherever you go.
- Multiple Office apps to increase your productivity
- Real-time changes made in Word document by team members
- Skype integration to chat with team members
- Offline access to applications
- Editing and conversion of documents, spreadsheets, and slides into PDF
- Syncing with mobile apps to work on the go
- 50 GB of email storage
- Office 365 comes with 2 plans – Home and Business. Home plans start from $59.99 per year, while Business plans start from $5 per user/month
Toggl is another time tracking entry in this round-up of free productivity apps. A dedicated time tracking tool which comes with some pretty powerful features to help you better manage your time and make informed decisions. The basic version of the app comes with an automatic task timer which you can start when you start working and turn off when you’re done.
There are also multiple reporting tools that let you track your performance and see where exactly are you spending your hours to better evaluate the current situation.
On the other hand, the advanced version of the tool comes with elaborate time tracking features, including timesheet management, email reports, and much more.
The beautiful and intuitive user interface makes navigation across the application smooth and effortless.
- Automatic task timer
- Timesheet management
- Multiple performance measuring reports
- A browser extension for tracking time in multiple tools
- Email reporting to get insights directly into your inbox
- Bulk editing for making changes simultaneously
- Pomodoro timer
- Detailed weekly reports to summarize performance
- CSV file imports
- A project dashboard with paid plans
- Third-party application integrations
- Starter ($9 per user/month), Premium ($18 per user/month), and Enterprise (custom pricing) plans.
The next one in the free productivity apps list is for the gamer inside each one of us. Habitica allows you to gamify your habits and get stuff done while having fun. Create to-do lists, daily goals, or habits and earn rewards whenever you check them off. These rewards unlock multiple in-app features and help you to level up your avatar.
The cool part of the app is that it fits with every individuals’ needs. Whether you need to track your work habits, your eating habits, or your fitness goals, Habitica seems to serve it all.
You can also challenge yourself by competing with your friends or fellow Habiticans to achieve your goals and holding each other accountable.
- To-do lists management
- Checklists management
- Habit building and tracking functionality
- In-app rewards and levels
- Fully customizable task list
- Common interest groups and challenges
- Shared quests to compete with other people
- Mobile and web app
- Free, and a Team plan of $9 per month + $3 per member/month
If you are looking for free productivity apps for designers, then this one is for you. Crello is a perfect online design service for marketers, bloggers, students, SMM managers, and entrepreneurs who don’t want to spend hours creating cool visual content. With Crello, anyone can create a post for social media or web and quickly prepare video ads and animated designs in minutes. Besides, you don’t need to have graphic design skills for that.
Crello has many functions but they are so comprehensive that it takes seconds to figure out how it works. The editor has a huge library of premium photos, illustrations, and images. Even if you use a free plan, you have access to a variety of templates and stock images. Also, you have a free trial of the PRO plan to get the taste of all premium features and visual content.
Key features of Crello
- a wide range of graphic and animated design templates
- possibility to make videos and animation
- access to hundreds of thousands of free and premium images
- possibility to upload your own fonts, videos, and images
- good-looking video clips for any purpose
- easy-to-use without any prior design experience
- Free plan
- Paid PRO plan, $7.99 per month. You can get a Free Trial for the PRO plan.
Nifty centralizes project communication, planning, and tracking with a bird’s-eye view across all of your projects and teammate workloads. It simplifies team workflows by consolidating all phases of a product’s lifecycle into a single tool. It combines both project management and team communication in one browser tab. It is one of the free productivity apps that comes with strong project management features.
Agencies working with numerous clients might find Nifty useful, as it allows their clients to collaborate and track their progress on tasks, reducing the time spent looking for feedback across several communication channels.
Nifty allows you to import data easily from other productivity tools, so you can quickly establish your workflow. This way, your team can use one tool for both internal and client-side communication.
- Automated project status reporting based on task completion
- Built-in Google Docs, Sheets, and Presentations for copy and scopes
- A built-in time tracker to track billable work across members, tasks, and projects
- Client collaboration, allowing them to get involved in the workflow
- Both Kanban Board and Task List views
- Team chat, for solving problems on the spot
- Project discussions within tasks
- Project templates
- Starter: Free, best suited for individuals and small teams up to 10 people, 1 GB storage space
- Pro: $99* per month, unlimited team members, 500 GB storage space
- Business: $149* per month, unlimited team members, 1 TB storage space
- Enterprise: Fully customizable solution
Do you want to get your ideas across using fewer words using shapes, annotation, and sketches; then Skitch is the right app for you. The best part is this tool is free and this factored in while including this in our best free productivity apps list.
This is an easy to use tool where you can use screenshot annotations for presentations allowing you to hide or highlight text.
It allows you to capture the full screen or just a portion of the screen, and then you can execute different types of edits like highlights, text, and arrows, etc.
Another important feature this tool offers is the Blur option which allows you to hide confidential information.
- Quickly focus on what’s important using markup and annotation.
- Use Skitch on your phone and desktop to share ideas.
- Smooth and responsive pen tool
- Hold & Lock feature allows you to lock the current tool through disabled auto-switching
- Upgraded move tool usability
- Free, with an in-app purchase option
37. Forest App
What is the Forest App precisely? At one level, you could judge it to be a smartphone game. Unlike popular mobile games, Forest facilitates time away from your phone. Therefore, it’s on our list of productivity apps.
At another level, it’s a tool for measuring your ability to stay away from your mobile device for a fixed period of time.
This game is called Forest because the game is all about planting a virtual tree. For example, a virtual tree takes five minutes to grow, then it will only grow if you are capable of staying away from your phone for at least five minutes.
I would recommend this productivity app to anyone who wants to do more intensive work.
- Forest allows you to focus on important components of life
- Includes one of the cutest gamified timers
- Over 700,000 real trees were planted on Earth by our users
- Reduces mobile addiction
- The harder you work the lusher your forest will be
- Stay focused and plant real trees
- Forest can be purchased on the iOS device for $1.99
38. Troop Messenger
Troop Messenger is a team chat application that keeps both the communication and collaboration within the teams at the same pace either they work inside the office or outside i.e. work from home. Productivity is no more an issue in case of this office chat application that offers exceptional features for remote teams collaboration.
Using Troop Messenger, you can send or receive text, files, images, media, and other important data seamlessly. Without hassles, this tool lets you assign the work to the remote teams, track the progress, monitor and manage all your teams wherever you are.
Besides, this remote working tool is accessible over the web and mobile apps (both Android and iOS) that eases any task in a fly. Also, this tool uses a high-end security pin and fingerprint access to ensure privacy and data confidentiality.
- Troop Messenger allows guest collaboration that lets your clients and vendors communicate for the short-term. You can add/remove anybody as and when required.
- It has a myriad of features such as Burnout (incognito chat), Advanced filters, Forkout (send a message to multiple people at a time), Recall, Mute conversations, Audio messaging, Flag (mark important messages), etc.
- It lets you track and share the live location.
- This tool is easy to integrate, implement, and understand.
- It lets you make both audio and video calls and share your screen in real-time. Cattle call is a video call feature that lets you create video conferencing, meetings, webinars, webcasting, give training, etc.
- It lets you integrate tools such as Google Drive, Dropbox, and LDAP.
- Premium plan starting at $1/user per month
- Enterprise plan starting at $5/user per month
If you are in the market for an amazing application that will take your productivity game to the next level, then Calendar is the one for you.
It is the smartest tool, powered by AI, that is always learning from you for you. This way, when you repeat a task or plan out your day, month, or year, it will do all of that stuff for you, having read your behavior at every step.
With this application, you can book any meeting or choose a different time for your other engagements, straight from the application. And you also don’t have to worry about any overbookings because if you have some engagement booked at a certain hour, the application will not book any other engagement at that time slot.
Let us take a look at some of the features that the application offers.
- AI Integration
- No task repetitions
- Control all of the tasks from the application itself
- Free Trial is available
- Contact the company for subscription details
Another incredible free productivity apps on our list include CloudApp. CloudApp is the application for you and your team if you like to collaborate visually rather than writing essays to each other. This is the application that helps you save up to 56 hours a week because of its fast mode of information transfer.
Whether you want to talk to a colleague, client, or customer through video call, screenshotting text chains, or even through gifs, CloudApp is the software for you.
Let us take a look at some of the features that the application offers.
- Wide range of plugins
- Viewing, tracking and deleting files from the menu bar
- Drag-and-drop interface
- CloudApp API
- A subscription will cost you about $9/ month
- Forest can be purchased on the iOS device for $1.99
41. HubSpot CRM
This incredible free productivity apps was built with the modern world in mind. With its amazingly intuitive and automatic features, HubSpot takes care of all of the little things that you do as a manager while using a productivity application of this genre e.g. recording calls, managing all of the data, logging emails and freeing up selling time in the process.
Let us take a look at some of the features that the application offers.
- Pipeline management
- Contact database
- Content management
- Email archiving
- Email tracking
- Shared history
- Task planning
- Prospect database
- Lead timelines
- Contact history
- Free Trial is available
- Contact the company if you want to buy a subscription
Next up on our best free productivity apps is Clockify. It is a time tracking app that offers time tracking to an unlimited number of users, for free. You and your team can track time in real-time as you work, or add it manually or in a timesheet once done with your work.
Afterward, you can view and analyze your own and your team’s time results in the reports section of the app that provides a detailed summary, and weekly overview of your work hours (and an option to share reports with others via links). These reports will show what activities take most of your time, where you waste time, and how you could improve your time utilization in the future.
In addition to the listed essentials for time tracking, you can also enhance your time management efforts through paid features that expand the app’s functionalities towards even better productivity.
Owing to the listed features, Clockify can be a great asset to remote teams, freelancers, large organizations, or anyone looking to track and manage their time.
- Track time as you work, with a timer
- Add time manually, or in a timesheet
- Analyze your time use in Reports
- Export Reports in PDF, CSV, or Excel
- Track what your team is currently working on from the Dashboard
- Label and categorize time entries with projects, clients, tasks, and tags
- Add custom fields to your time entries, in the form of texts, numbers, switches, links, and input fields
- Track your project progress when compared to your project estimates
- Use project templates to easily create multiple projects that have the same task structure
- Track and manage time with a Pomodoro timer
- Integrations with 50+ most popular project management and productivity tools, and with hundreds more via Zapier and Try Integromat
- Available for Windows, Mac Productivity Apps, Linux, iOS, Android
- Browser extensions for Chrome and Firefox
- Free forever plan for teams that need a simple and easy time tracker
- Plus plan at a flat rate of $9.99 per month
- Premium plan at a flat rate of $29.99 per month
- Enterprise plan at a rate of $9.99 per month per user
- Bloomberg has cited Clockify as one of the apps in which one should invest 1 million dollars in 2020.
- Techradar has cited Clockify as one of the Best productivity tools of 2020: free and paid apps.
If you are looking for a hassle-free project management experience that is not strictly professional and restricting, Flow might be the best productivity app right now. For you, I mean.
Yes, Flow indeed enables power users to delegate work, organize team-based activities, monitor, prioritize, and all there is to project management. But the subtle touch of “productivity” comes in the form of communication.
Collaboration is to the point within a fuss-free interface. It takes less time to discuss work. This way, Flow helps you to focus on work, rather than circling discussions that have no end.
Of course, you can collaborate later if something is not clear about a particular task.
- Based on the latest Agile methodologies. Work fast in a clutter-free virtual space.
- Minimizes extra communication between team members and helps to keep things on point.
- Offers separate client portal for easy PM contacts management.
- Supports milestone tracking, resource, and budget management.
- Utilize Flow Kanban boards and Gantt Charts for CPM methodologies.
- Flow has a free trial for evaluation.
- Paid plans start with Flow Basic at $6 per month, per user.
Goplan is combining business and project management for individuals and professionals alike. Yes, we know that such type of productivity apps is a lot to digest because it is focusing on one too many features altogether.
However, Goplan is reportedly notorious for offering real-time access to project status, milestones, and timesheets through in-built tools.
Another flagship feature of this productivity app is the Calendar. Beyond scheduling meetings and last-minute agendas, Goplan’s calendaring system helps you to share notes and track issues attentively.
- Comes with an intuitive minimalistic web 2.0 interface.
- Primarily developed for mitigating project management, SDLC, and business-related issues.
- Manage projects and communicate with clients in one place.
- Real-time collaboration.
- Milestone, time, and budget tracking system.
- 24/7 entirely Web-based SaaS service model.
- Goplan has a free trial for first-time users.
- Paid plans start at $10 per user/ per month.
If file sharing is your IT company’s necessary requirement, then Onehub helps to pull it off – and that too with multiple user support.
Of course, who am I kidding, every other business needs a dose of file-sharing every once in a while. This makes Onehub one of the best free productivity apps to date. There are paid plans as well, but you can opt-in if your business needs to transition.
While this tool lays emphasis on file-sharing as one of its main highlights, it also leans on secure document management in the cloud. Everything is maintained server-side with a sense of efficiency and reliability.
On top of it, you can also customize your file storage and virtual storage environment according to the brand of the business.
- Trusted by popular business brands.
- Set role-based permissions to practice document security.
- Use different preset limits for multiple users.
- Boost productivity via easy file management & organization practices.
- Google Drive file editing.
- Collaboration among team members.
- Invitation support for stakeholders!
- Onehub is available as a Free Trial package
- Paid plans start with Onehub Team package at $29.95 per month.
46. IA Writer
Digital nomads occasionally need a simple notes creator where they can brainstorm. IA Writer is nothing fancy; it’s a fantastic plain text editor with a strong distraction-free environment.
Users are reportedly able to write more because of the IA Writer’s screen interface. As soon as the file is executed, you will see a blank screen with the omission of all other shortcuts to external programs. No more unwanted icons, no more productivity loss.
Both iOS and Android users can benefit from this productivity app. There’s a Pro version where you can benefit from some extra features – i.e. if typefaces, various workflow options, and fonts are your priority.
- Excellent productivity tools for freelance writers.
- Features a distraction-free program interface.
- Offers text color, workflow variances, and typeface options.
- Available to iOS and Android users.
- Free of cost.
🎁 Bonus Tools
47. Drag App for Chrome:
Drag is a task management tool that helps users to streamline their inbox for easy communication. This Gmail add-on turns your email inbox into respective Kanban boards for convenient tracking and accessibility. The application integrates with other Google Apps without any trouble, facilitating the users to minimize switching between multiple applications.
Agilean is a project management software designed for IT enterprises. The software provides Kanban boards for planning and execution of respective projects and tasks. Agilean provides analytics and reports for each task as well, which makes monitoring and controlling easy for the user. Additional features such as task dependencies, Gantt charts, and integration with other applications are also offered.
Apiumhub ranks Agilean as no. 1 on their list of 13 Agile PM Tools You Should Know. Apiumhub is a software development company based in Barcelona that transformed into a tech hub, mainly offering services of mobile app development, web development & software architecture.
Another notable addition to our list of free productivity apps is Trackly. Keeping track of daily time spent on multiple activities can become difficult, especially if you’re working on more than one task at a time.
Trackly is a productivity tracker for you and your team, which monitors your daily time spent on various activities and lets you analyze your behavior patterns regarding the time being invested in each activity, consequently helping you to effectively manage your time.
The last tool in our list of free productivity apps is Gmelius. A complete CRM solution seamlessly integrated with Gmail and G-suite. Best suited for small and mid-sized companies, Gmelius provides efficient email integration to keep track of all the clients’ communication.
Gmelius converts all of the messages in your inbox into tasks and then transfers them to respective Kanban boards so that you and your team can track them in a better way. This helps the teams to understand the workflow better and act upon it accordingly.
Connect your Buffer account to Bulkly and you can easily add content into your Buffer queues automatically. You can create a variety of social media updates using CSV files, RSS feeds, or even by importing your previous Buffer posts. Best of all, you can automatically recycle all this content into Buffer giving you a true set and forget approach with scheduling social media updates. Plans start at $12 a month.
Productivity Apps Common Questions
1. What Are Some Important Features that Productivity Software should have?
Here are some important features that the productivity software you choose should have. They are:
- Organization of different tasks and priorities
- An Easy-to-Use and Intuitive User Interface
- Integration with third-party applications
- Extra security
- Easy Management of all of the different tasks and processes
- Word Processing
- Spreadsheet creation
- Cloud Database
- Multiple-platform support
2. Why People Use Productivity Apps?
Productivity applications are important tools that people use to make sure that their professional and personal lives get more productive and they can achieve more, on a daily basis.
Many different apps can help you do that, but to make sure that you make the right call, consult the document, compare different features and prices of the apps, and make the right choice.
So there you have it, these were the most amazing and effective productivity applications in the market right now.
One thing you need to keep in mind that not each of them is going to fall perfectly under the criteria that you have set for yourself, so you need to make sure that you make the right decision while choosing the application.
Compare the apps whose features and prices attract you and choose the best one from them.
Do you have a list of top free productivity apps that you and your teams standby? Give your suggestions in the comments below. Happy Hunting.
Ready to up your game with nTask?
Manage your team, tasks, projects and more on a single platform. Sign up today, it's free.