Companies have reverted to using dedicated workflow management in efforts to boost productivity for their organization and their teams. That is why there has been a surge in the market for workflow management software in the last couple of years.
However, finding the right fit for the perfect workflow management software is not always as straightforward as it seems.
Therefore, we have curated this list of our tops picks for workflow management software to help make the decision easy for you.
But before we get into the list, you first need to understand what is workflow management software.
What is workflow management software?
The purpose of workflow management systems is to help improve the way your organization works by providing flexible tools all encompassed in a centralized platform.
Such software provides you with the ability to make and optimize workflow, automate work processes by identifying redundant and recurrent tasks, identify potential areas of improvement and thus achieve efficiency overall.
Certain aspects of a good workflow management system should include:
- Ability to manage work according to your needs
- Allow you to create custom workflows
- Task management tools
- Integrate workflows with your task lists
- Streamline repetitive processes and tasks
- Provide the ability to assign tasks you create
- Synchronize tasks
- Monitor and analyze the way tasks are being done
- Adapt to changes when the need arises
These are just a few things you should consider when picking the right software for you.
Best workflow management software
Now that you know what workflow management systems, here are our top picks for the best workflow management tools available.
When thinking about the perfect workflow management tool, the first name that comes to mind is nTask.
The software that nTask provides gives you a platform for all your workflow management needs, with a neat interface all encompassed within a simple design.
With nTask you have a single platform that helps run all your tasks and projects and is the all-inclusive project management tool.
nTask has been specifically tailored with your needs in mind and provides everything you need to run your project smoothly.
Here are just some of the features you get with nTask that make it the perfect workflow management software.
- nTask allows you to easily plan your projects, tasks, timesheets, etc.
- Systematically create and manage to-do lists
- Identify dependencies with nTask and highlight them accordingly
- Set start and end dates for any particular task
- Have the ability to easily assign tasks to your team and collaborate in real-time
- nTask allows you to assign multiple assignees allowing quicker task allocation
- Collaboration features allow you to easily collaborate with your team in real-time
- Options available to attach files to your tasks
- Keep track of all your task activities and updates
- Track task progress with nTask’s robust progress reports
- Customize the status of tasks to keep everyone in the loop
- Segregate your tasks into respective categories and add labels and filters for clarity
- Plan your entire project with nTask
- Set a total budget for your project and log billable hours
- Resource allocation
- Easily assign a project manager
- Assign distinct roles to each team member
- nTask allows you to track, assign, prioritize and fix bugs and issues faster with nTask issue management software
- Assign issue severity levels
- Highlight issue priority levels
- Bug tracker facilitates comments and file attachments to ensure everyone gets notified of issue updates
- With nTask, you can manage your risks efficiently and lower their impact
- Easily jot down mitigating strategies for risks with probable solutions and have everything in one place
- Basic plan for free
- Issues tracking
- Unlimited tasks
- Unlimited workspaces
- Limit of 5 members per team
- 100 MB storage
- Premium $3 per month
- Everything provided in the basic plan, plus
- 5 GB storage
- Bulk Actions
- Custom filters
- Business plan for $8 per month
- Everything provided in the premium plan, plus
- 10 GB storage
- Save custom filters
- Risk management
- Custom roles and permissions
- Enterprise plan customizable plan
- Everything in business, plus
- Custom onboarding
- Dedicated account manager
- Dedicated cloud
Powerful Workflow Management
Monday.com’s visual collaborative space provides teams with a single platform that allows you to plan, track, and execute tasks.
- Monday.com provides a task scheduler and allows for tasks to be prioritized so you and your team stay on top of your work
- The software allows you to review your project boards in a team calendar view
- The Monday.com platform also gives you the option to create custom boards that are meant to track resources for your project
- Gantt charts available
- Workflow automation options
- Timesheet tracking lets you know how much time is spent by your team to complete tasks
- Team collaboration ability
- Supports agile methodology
- Document storage allows you to store relevant project documents, images, spreadsheets and other material that is related to your project
- Communication through in-built chat functions such as task comments and message boards
- With Monday.com you can create several dashboards for any project or user, with different types of widgets such as task progress, project calendar, project timeline, or even custom number columns for things such as budgets, resources, etc.
- Basic plan for $8 per month per user
- Standard plan for $10 per month per user
- Pro plan for $16 per month per user
- Contact for enterprise plan
Wrike is a cloud-based online project management tool that also incorporates collaboration.
Suitable for both large and small teams, Wrike provides a great platform for workflow management with their visual design.
Wrike also provides greater visibility to its users with real-time reports and by providing the status of your projects.
- Activity dashboard
- Activity management
- Project and task management
- Collaboration tools
- Budgeting options and tracking
- Collaborative workspaces
- File sharing
- Ability to create reports in real-time
- Time tracking software
- Bug tracking
- Free plan
- Professional plan for $9.80 per month per user
- Business plan for $24.80 per month per user
- Contact for enterprise plan
Zapier is a software that allows for fast and automated work in your developer lifecycle.
The software provides a platform for you to move between web applications automatically allowing you to focus your attention on other work.
- Create workflows
- No coding required
- Integration with other applications
- Free plan
- Starter plan for $24.99 per month
- Professional plan for $61.25 per month
- Team plan for $373.75 per month
- Company plan for $748.75 per month
ProofHub provides a one-stop solution for everything project management related all in a centralized location while also having the ability to integrate with other software your company may be using.
The project management software has a simple and clean interface and design making it popular among great workflow management tools.
- Task management allows you to create and assign tasks to your team
- Basic and Kanban workflow options
- Features that allow easy communication and collaboration such as @mentions
- Time tracking abilities
- Gantt charts allow you to set dependencies in your project
- In-built time tracking software
- Available as a mobile app to allow working on the go
- Essential plan for $50 per month
- Ultimate control plan for $99 per month
Atlassian’s Trello is based on a Kanban framework and is yet another good option for workflow management.
The software adopts the typical to-do list format and allows you and your team to simplify all things workflow management.
- Trello allows an easy organization through categories, labels, and tags
- The software provides the option to create checklists with a progress meter to allow users to stay on top of their tasks
- Data filtering
- Supports 10 different languages
- Trello also gives its users the option to enable deadline reminders and notifications
- Automated Email notifications
- Option to upload attachments or files
- Real-time sync from different users
- Comprehensive and swift overviews of front/back cards
- An archive of all the card records created
- Ability to assign tasks both individually or to a group
- Information backup and retrieval options available
- SSL data encryption
- Free option
- Business-class plan for $12.50 per user per month
- Enterprise plan for $17.50 per user per month
Asana gives you a platform where you can manage your team’s work, projects, and tasks online and with ease.
Asana was created to provide teams with a single platform that they can access from any location and where they can plan, organize, and execute their work.
- Workflow automation options
- Asana provides options to create, schedule and prioritize tasks in several different formats
- Resource management and time tracking is made easy with Asana
- Ability to collaborate with teams
- Gantt charts
- Shared team calendars keep everyone on your team in the loop and on the same page
- Document storage allows you to store relevant files and documents for your project
- Asana provides comment sections for every task, allowing discussion, collaboration, and resource sharing
- Basic plan for free
- Premium plan for $13.49 per month per user
- Business plan for $30.49 per month per user
- Contact for enterprise plan
Hubstaff is a time tracking and productivity monitoring tool with features for workflow management.
Used by over 10,000 teams across the world, Hubstaff is used by teams to achieve more and streamline their processes.
- Access controls
- Compliance tracking
- Calendar management options
- Reporting and analytics available
- Workflow configurations
- Task management
- Document management
- Options available to set notifications and reminders
- Custom dashboards
- Free plan available
- Basic plan for $7 per user per month
- Premium plan for $10 per user per month
- Enterprise plan for $20 per user per month
Nintex is the end-to-end process management and workflow automation tool. With the Nintex platform, you can manage, automate, and optimize your processes allowing you to intelligently transform your business.
The software aims to automate the processes of widely used collaboration and content management tools, linking things such as cloud workflows, mobile users, and on-premise systems.
- Visually plan, map and manage business processes
- Option to share and get feedback from team members
- Ability to include third-party consultants in planning
- Automate your processes without the need for code
- Workflow and RPA bots
- Monitor your processes
- Use data visualization to analyze your workflow
- Easily integrate with other tools your company is using
- Nintex workflow standard plan starting under $875 per month for unlimited users and up to 10 workflows
- Enterprise-wide standard plan contact for pricing
- Nintex workflow enterprise plan starting under $1350 per month for unlimited users and up to 10 workflows or Botflows
- Enterprise-wide enterprise plan contact for pricing
ProcessMaker is an open-source workflow software and business process management tool.
The software is aimed to improve the way information moves between data and systems by automating form-based, approval driven workflows.
The interface is easy to use and extremely cost-effective making it a popular choice for many organizations.
- Low-code business process management
- Process templates and tailor-made workflow solutions
- Ability to automate workflows
- Communication options
- Applicable workflow automation for the cloud, a specific industry or your company’s own software application
- Enterprise plan for $19 per user per month
- Application plan built for purpose solutions for $550 per month
- Workflow Platform for SMBs plan for $1495 per month
11. Process Street
Up next is Process Street, this software allows you to manage recurring processes and workflows.
This software prides itself on being able to accommodate almost any team in any given work environment.
With Process Street, a team has a simple solution while working on projects to manage any recurring workflows and checklists.
- Run processes as collaborative workflows
- Create a process template
- Run multiple instances of the template as checklists
- Use conditional logic to create checklists that adapt to your team’s needs
- Ability to create a single instance, multi-stage or sequential approvals
- Schedule daily, weekly or monthly workflows
- Collaboration options for your team to collaborate effectively
- Track the status of your checklists and your team’s activity
- Basic plan for $15 per user per month
- Standard plan for $30 per user per month
- Contact for customizable enterprise plan
Automate.io is the next choice on our list. Automate.io is a workflow automation tool. This tool goes beyond its competitors by allowing the creation of one-to-one integrations as well as multi-step workflows between different apps.
- Sync data between two apps or create simple one-to-one automation workflows
- Option to create complex workflows
- Powerful formatting tools, as well as tools to add conditional logic or time delay into your workflows
- Data encryption options available
- Connectors for all leading cloud/SaaS applications available
- Create visual integrations with drag-drop mapping easily
- Free plan available
- Startup plan for $49 per month
- Growth plan for $99 per month
- Business plan for $199 per month
- Enterprise plan starting from $399
13. Gravity Flow
Working with Gravity Flow, a WordPress plug-in aimed to create lead generation forms. Gravity Flow is a workflow management tool that can help you to turn emails, forms, calls, and lists to a workflow.
This software provides teams with the opportunity to create multi-step workflows effectively and with ease.
- Feedback and review loops
- Rapid implementation and the ability to configure as many workflow steps as you need
- 40+ different step types available to implement in your workflows
- Keep track of performance by your team with reporting features
- Automation options
- Communication options
- Single site for $97 per year, with optional extensions available
- 5-site license for $227 per year, with optional extensions available
- Volume license for $337 per year, with optional extensions available
- Ultimate license for $397 per year, this plan includes all possible extensions
Next is Backlog, a work management software designed specifically for development teams.
By using Backlog, teams can boost the three c’s, communication, collaboration, and coordination, during the development process of a project lifecycle.
- Visualize tasks within your project
- Gantt charts allow you to manage project schedules
- Kanban boards allow you to have a visual view of your team’s progress
- Bug tracking features
- Create and assign tasks with ease
- Option to breakdown tasks into subtasks as well as checklists
- Collaboration features available
- Free plan is available
- Starter plan for $35 per month
- Standard plan for $100 per month
- Premium plan for $175 per month
- Contact Backlog for enterprise plan
One of the best workflow management software to ensure properly planned and managed deliverables is called: Nifty. The tool not only helps you to complete all of your projects on time, but it also assists you to bring more value to your business.
Nifty wraps itself around multiple projects regardless of their size and complexity. There’s an incredible arsenal of features ready to be explored at a moment’s whim. So, give it a spin and see how far Nifty takes your company.
- Activity tracking to see every little task and process that is taking place in the project development process
- Collaborative workspace to make sure that your team is in constant communication about the work they are doing in the dev process
- Discussion board to discuss the workflow
- Drag & drop interface
- File sharing to make sure that everyone gets the data they need to work on the project
- Lifecycle management
- Project management
- To-do list
- Activity logging to make sure that every activity is being monitored and logged in the system
- Collaboration tools
- Deadline tracking
- Document review
- File management
- File transfer
- Product road mapping
- Time Tracking to keep track of all of the tasks and processes according to the time the team members spend working on them
- There is a free version available for use if you want to use the software before deciding on purchasing the subscription
- The Starter subscription of the software is priced at $39/month
- The Pro subscription of the software is priced at $79/month
- The Business subscription of the software is priced at $124/month
- If you want to purchase the Enterprise version of the software, you need to contact the company so that they can tailor a subscription according to your needs and requirements
If you’re looking for a way to automate your task management workflow across various tools, consider Pleexy. It connects and synchronizes your tasks between the most popular task management apps.
What sets it apart from other integration platforms is the ease with which you can set up a two-way integration without the need to manually create multiple if-then workflows. With Pleexy, you can manage emails, notes, support tickets, and tasks from your central task manager and reduce time wasted on context switching.
- Two-way integrations tailored for each supported application
- Easy setup and simple configuration through drop-down menus
- Flexible source options that define which tasks you want to synchronize
- Sync task attributes like due dates, labels, priority, and description
- Control how changes on either side of the integration are synchronized
- Easy source referencing lets you quickly open a task in its source for additional context
- Detailed history of changes in each synchronization
- Free for up to 2 connections and 5-minute synchronization
- Premium plan for $4 per month with unlimited connections and real-time synchronization
17. Next Matter
Operations teams drive a business’s most vital processes, but they’re often lacking a dedicated system to manage and carry out their processes and workflows in a scalable way.
Next Matter is an all-in-one operations platform that enables teams to capture, visualize, automate, and execute their processes end-to-end. Using Next Matter, teams transform manual, email-driven operations into automated, digital processes that bring their team members, tools, workflows, instructions, and more all in one, easy-to-use system. Managers can finally get the visibility and performance they need, and teams can get rid of the coordination grunt work for good.
- Rules-based automation for task assignment, data referencing, decisions, conditionals, process scheduling, notifications, and more
- Organization, team, and individual dashboards to view process status and escalations – no more follow-ups or status meetings required!
- Streamline collaboration outside of your org with external user access and permissions for suppliers, partners, and customers.
- No-code/Low-code, drag-and-drop process builder that’s incredibly simple to use.
- Simplified and focused work execution interface
- Integrates with the tools your teams use every day, to eliminate application-switching
- Starter plan for $29 per month per user
- The standard plan for $49 per month per user
- Professional plan for $99 per month per user, and includes 1-on-1 onboarding
- Custom Enterprise plan available
Essential Components of Workflow Management Software
Till now, we have discussed the overall basic components of workflow and of workflow management that are used in the company’s overall strategy.
But now, let us talk about some of the most crucial components of workflow management software that you just have to know and understand, because if you choose software that doesn’t have them, then your project teams are never going to succeed in this competitive market.
These crucial components of useful workflow management software are as follows.
- Macro-level Views to Monitor Progress: One thing that you need to know is that to better optimize all of the workflows in a workflow management software, you or the users in question need to be able to make sure that the entire project development process is monitored or the entire campaign progression over a specific period of time or the entire period of the project is measured.
- Analytics and Reporting Features: Another important feature that is necessary for an effective workflow management software is that you need to be able to determine how successful you were or how productive the efforts of the whole team were, which is where the reporting and analytics features in your workflow management software come in.
- Clearly Defined and Recurring Processes: One of the most important features that your workflow management software should have are recurring tasks because, in every single project that is being developed in the organizational paradigm, there are tasks that are needed to be performed on a daily basis or a weekly basis, and that’s why you need to have recurring tasks’ feature by your side so that you are not overwhelmed by doing the same thing over and over again
- Integrations with Other Applications: Last but not the least, your workflow management software needs to be able to integrate with other applications so that all your existing and new tools can co-exist in the same environment and there are no issues later on.
What does workflow management software do?
This type of system typically incorporates scheduling tools, task-tracking capabilities, and document-sharing functions that enable users to keep track of project progress, visualize dependencies between tasks, monitor team performance metrics in real-time, and gain visibility into resource utilization across departments or teams.
Additionally, workflow management systems are commonly used for approval-based activities such as purchasing requests or employee onboarding processes. By simplifying the approval process and creating an audit trail of activities within the organization, workflow management solutions ensure the timely completion of initiatives while helping prevent potential compliance risks.
What are the 3 basic components of workflow?
A well-structured workflow should have these components connected together in an efficient manner with connections between them dictating how each component affects the other moving through it. Each component is necessary at some point in order to create a smooth process, but it’s important that they are all working together properly in order for results to be successful.
Here’s Why You Definitely Need A Workflow Management Tool
A workflow management tool is a type of software that can help to keep track of the various steps involved in a job or project. It allows you to streamline processes, minimizes manual work, and maximizes productivity in the workplace.
A workflow management tool will provide you with an organized system for managing tasks, documents, and communication between departments or employees within your organization. This can drastically reduce operational costs while at the same time increasing efficiency, collaboration, and transparency across all levels of your business.
Additionally, this kind of system also makes it much easier for teams to stay organized with their tasks as well as follow up on any missed deadlines or points that need addressing sooner rather than later. All of these benefits result in improved team efficiency since the need for manual follow-ups is reduced significantly – leaving more time for other important tasks instead!
Keep an eye out for additional picks as we move along in recommending the best tools to help you get things done faster.
- How to Successfully Defeat Dark Scrum in 2024?
- 7 Best Process Street Alternatives for Project Managers
- 5 Best Digital Designs Tools for Buildings and Models
- 23 Best Zoho Alternatives to Use in 2024
- 9 Best Time Management Apps to Keep Life on Track
- 13 Top Mavenlink Alternatives for Project Managers
- 22 Amazing Producteev Alternatives to Use in 2024