As a project manager, if you are lacking behind deadlines, you should give the Pomodoro technique a shot. We are going to talk about the Pomodoro technique and see what the best Pomodoro Apps are this year.
It is an age-old adage; a sort of a “home-brewed” formula to get things done effectively. Speaking of which, it wouldn’t be wrong to assume that the founder of the Pomodoro technique, Francesco Cirillo was an effective time manager.
Pomodoro Technique 101 – An Introduction
At work, when things have to be done on time; submissions get rejected and there is always an impending chance of last-minute meetings. Workers are instructed to redo everything – and that sets the entire project to square one. To avoid this confusion, time management is of crucial importance.
This technique has a work vs. rewards model based on a 25-minute timer. You need to set a couple of achievable tasks ahead of you; plan and execute for at least 25 minutes and then take a short break of no more than 5–6 minutes.
Scientists believe that people, who adopt the Pomodoro technique model, have an uncanny resilience to brainstorm new ideas during their break period. When your brain is involved in a task for half an hour, and you take a break, your body is somehow mentally intertwined with the project at hand.
In your spare time, you might as well come up with a few workaround solutions to help overcome hurdles related to the task. That’s what the Pomodoro technique is all about: i.e. to dedicate a time slot to work, which is then followed up by a break period.
There is more…
The interesting thing about the Pomodoro technique is that it received an overwhelmingly positive response from ‘Doers’ all over the world. Project managers introduced the Pomodoro technique model at their workplace to enhance productivity.
Likewise, subordinates also don’t feel all “chained” up because they have the liberty to walk around or sink back in their chair during short break intervals. Since the 1980s, Pomodoro followed a variety of different hierarchical trends. It was transformed into different variations to suit either the personal or work lives of professionals.
Each break interval is called a Pomodoro, whereas the word itself means ‘Tomato’. Francesco was probably facing challenges in the kitchen. He literally created a tomato-shaped object with an embedded 25-minute timer to get started. The Italian author was in need of a better solution to reorganize his daily rituals.
Is the Pomodoro technique effective?
Pomodoro is a widely popular technique that not only improves your focus but also helps you improve your productivity and efficiency by manifolds. The alternative breaks help users maintain their focus on the task at hand. But also the breaks are a vital addition since they allow users to relax and not experience burnout.
The focused attention also allows for better productivity and produces better results.
That said, it is important to note that Pomodoro is not a one size fits all solution. Users must familiarize themselves with the technique and do a trial run before formally signing up for the tool.
Advantages of Adopting the Pomodoro Technique
At its core, the idea of keeping detailed task planning and follow-up is a challenge itself. To simplify this problem, developers from all over the world have created task management software. Some of them are available online through a SaaS model, while others are showcased as 3rd party installers.
Pomodoro Technique further enhances the doable side of things by setting up a workflow process that does not hinder progress. Since we are all humans, we have always been in need of a ‘catch and release’ sort of system. You want to work, but you don’t know how to handle all that because of so many distractions going on around you.
One minute we are working on certain tasks and then something comes up on Facebook – there it all goes away. In this context, developers have released quite remarkable Pomodoro Technique timer apps and dedicated Pomodoro timers to help deliver clutter-free work output.
The 15 Best Pomodoro Apps and Timers in 2024
All of the appended apps instill the same idea; i.e. to increase productivity while keeping the time factor in perspective. The timer in this application may instill urgency, but it does so in a very subtle manner. You will be your own boss, and especially at the inclination of a break coming up after 25 minutes or so, getting things done should be like a breeze.
nTask was primarily developed as a project management software. Based on its cloud-based support and lots of powerful features, getting things done in the typical Pomodoro technique fashion are no biggie.
Since it is a complete overhaul of a typical project management suite that relies only on the to-do list aspect, there is a bundle of features in there.
In summary, you can literally monitor your time spent on each task, and that of your team members as well.
Adopting the Pomodoro Technique with nTask
nTask leverages time management by coupling it with a built-in time tracking tool. You can monitor the time spent on each task and for each member of the team on any project board. This feature results in monitoring and managing time in a better way; i.e. to scale down everything to at least 25 minutes of doable tasks, and then allow a few minutes off for a breather.
This technique elicits the feeling that project managers don’t have endless time – nor an endless day to get things done. You will know that you and your team have 25 minutes to make as much progress and then fall back to a short break. This means that there is a bit of an urgency factor involved in doing things.
On a side note, we are working on releasing nTask 2.0. It will be made available soon. With the new Beta release, we are introducing an automated web timer to allow you to keep track of actual time spent on work and breaks effortlessly.
Teams will be able to set the timer to help develop a Pomodoro technique format for that very purpose.
nTask introduces additional perks, such as:
- Gantt Charts for easy project management
- Ability to add and edit comments under project boards
- Integration with Microsoft Teams and Google Calendar
- Built-in automated web timer to keep track of work time and break time
- Advanced time tracking features
- Meeting management through chat sessions, conferencing, and much more
nTask is a perfect pomodoro app.
Use it for personal or team productivity. nTask is free and includes unlimited tasks and checklists.
The PomoDone App is designed around the “Get it done and have a fun mantra” through a flawless integration of the age-old Pomodoro technique.
If you are looking for an application that sets aside all the clutter and just gets to a minimalistic UI with a timer, look no further. This application will help you increase workflow, work output, and goal completion rate in a jiffy.
As a first-time user, you don’t have to stick with a 25-minute work routine in PomoDone App. You can shorten the interval as per your liking.
Develop a work routine on the basis of a time scale, and create an achievable objectives list in this application. The next thing you know, you will be smokin’ aces like a boss.
The two best features of the PomoDone App are:
- Integration with Trello, Evernote, Google Calendar, Basecamp, Asana, and Todoist
- Supports iOS, Windows, Android, and Live Online Platforms
- Progress bars for different tasks
- Subtask level support for each project
- Keyboard shortcuts for starting, pausing or resuming the Pomodoro technique
- Multiple drag and drop features
What else could you ask for? Perhaps an intelligent solution to monitor work hours that skip past the deadlines? To do that, PomoDone Application has a saved data log against each work session. If you are getting lazy, or late, the log maintains the extra amount of time you take to complete your work.
3. Focus Booster
Although project managers can encourage the use of Focus Booster as a handy Pomodoro technique app, the program is meant for freelancers actually. If you happen to deal with multiple clients smeared with time issues, go for Focus Booster.
This free Pomodoro app is more than just a timer application. You can also create invoices, manage multiple project timelines, see your actual work output through graphs, and vice versa. The “focus” part comes as a collection of visual cue features in this application.
You can set the length of your “focus”, which is, in fact, a fancy name for the Pomodoro, in addition, to breaking session duration. The timer runs automatically; once the timer expires, it buzzes to alert the user.
Focus Booster is integrated with Android and iOS platforms. All your work data can be exported to web mobile, and desktop folders.
- Pro Plan enables a user to use Focus Booster as a Pomodoro app, or a mere time tracker.
- Set individual time-oriented goals for each of your clients.
- Work logs are maintained in separate reports.
- Set up different timesheets to manage your work.
- Reports dashboard allows simple ways to issue and monitor invoices.
4. Focus Keeper
Next up on the list of Pomodoro timer apps, is Focus Keeper. It is one of the best Pomodoro apps that comes with a native Pomodoro timer. The reason we have highlighted Focus Keeper in this post is that you don’t have to install or manage your projects in the app’s environment. Focus Keeper doesn’t work that way.
What happens, on the contrary, is that you can use this Pomodoro tool without having the need for creating an account. There is only a timer based on some innovative gamification.
You can simply “keep” your “focus” by just setting up a timer for 25 minutes and getting to work immediately at your own pace. Once the objective is complete, Focus Keeper dings to alert the user for a small break. All of this happens through in-browser support.
By the way, the default time duration and custom timer themes can be selected for as long as you are using the paid version of Focus Keeper. However, we found that the free version had more than enough perks to help us kick-start our daily rituals.
Once you have hooped through different milestones, Focus Keeper will show a “Charts” tab at the bottom of your screen. These charts maintain a visual indicator of all the work you have been doing, the average number of actual work hours, and the overall time that was wasted.
- Minimalist intuitive interface
- Manage all your “focus” groups through goals, color tabs, and sounds
- Productivity tracking with the help of pull-up cards
- Timer adjustment in rotatable format, just like a real-life Pomodoro timer
- Multiple focus sessions in one go
5. Pomodoro Tracker
Pomodoro Tracker is another convenient solution for those on the lookout for the best Pomodoro apps. We’d stress the “convenience” because you can use the application without ever having to install it in the first place.
If you go to the official Pomodoro Tracker website, they have a sleek 25-minute time, with a small “Play/ Start” button beside it. Anyone who doesn’t have a smartphone at the office, or can start the timer at the application’s official website and resume work on the get-go. It couldn’t get any simpler than that.
Alternatively, Pomodoro Tracker is available as a smartphone application for iOS users. Android users will have to make do with an alternative. Anyhow, you can basically, do stuff through this app like a hardcore Pomodoro technique fan.
Set tasks, customize timers, and work your way through different realistic objectives without having to worry about any distractions. The “ticking” clock instills a sense of urgency; the closer it gets to the deadline, you will develop a habit of getting things done.
- Sign up for a free or paid account through the official Pomodoro Tracker app.
- Ability to start and manage tasks through a simple browser screen.
- Get rid of real-life anxiety by enhancing focus through this Pomodoro app.
- Maintain and keep a constant workflow.
- Strengthen your consistency against different tasks of varying natures.
Just like nTask Project Manager, Toggl is another convenient web-based solution. It works on the same formula as that of a typical Pomodoro timer app – but with a wider scope. Toggl was designed to cater to the needs of freelancers, business consultants, project managers, and every other professional.
The company did so with the help of a native Pomodoro technique timer, and many other reporting features. Since we mentioned earlier that Toggl is a web-based solution like nTask for Pomodoro aficionados, you can directly log on to the official app. If it is your first time over there, you will be greeted with a simple timer and minimal UI.
The left pane is for selecting different options ranging from Dashboard, Pomodoro Timer, clients and saved thoughts for later execution. In addition, Toggl is available to be installed on iOS and Android devices as an offline solution with 24-hour synchronization with all your cloud data.
- Manage time through ‘single click’ Pomodoro time tracking feature
- Time tracking reports are available in the form of pie charts, Gantt charts, and bar charts
- Constant data backup through cloud servers
- Toggl does not have any signup and/or account termination fee
- Integration with Basecamp, FreshBooks, and other 3rd party apps
7. Focus To-Do
Focus To-Do is a to-do list app and an all-in-one Pomodoro app. Being on our list of the best Pomodoro apps, Focus To-Do is quite practical because of its two-pronged feature set.
You may create projects to better categorize your sessions and set priorities for your tasks. If you are struggling to keep the focus on your work, then Focus To-Do can make things easier for you.
It is easy to use time management and Pomodoro app that can help you to manage all your tasks in one place and from anywhere with cloud-based applications. You can use this app to gain efficiency and get more done in less time.
The Focus To-Do application is built around the Pomodoro technique, where you can set the task execution time and it can help you to focus on that particular task until it is completed. You can feel a sense of accomplishment by using this app.
- Based on the Pomodoro technique
- Easy synchronization with all devices
- Generate reports to track the progress
- Set the due dates and reminders
- Create subtasks and set the tasks on repeat
- Add notes to make sure your tasks are not missed
- Available on iOS and Android
If you are looking for software that can help you take the combined features of Kanban and Pomodoro software to give you the best experience you can have for your work then you have to try out the application KanbanFlow.
The application has an effective Kanban board with an incredible Pomodoro timer built-in which helps you in time-managing your tasks and processes related to your project development process quite easily.
- The application has an effective feature that helps to time-track different tasks directly from the board
- The best feature of the app is its usability and user-friendliness as you can just hit the timer button on any tasks you want, and you can start to time-manage them almost instantly
- The software can be integrated with many different software like Slack and Google Calendar
- Limit work-in-progress for less stressed teams making them productive
- Simple stopwatch timer and time sent a report
- Ability to spot bottlenecks with lead time, cycle time, and cumulative flow reports
9. Marinara Timer
Marinara Timer is a no-nonsense timer application that allows you to manage your tasks and processes according to the time of your liking. The software is web-based which means that you can get your work done from anywhere around the world even if you’re off the grid.
The application has 3 different modes called Pomodoro, Kitchen, and Custom. All three of these modes can help you manage your time according to the activity that you’re about to perform.
- One of the best features of the application is the ability to share different timers or timing results with the appropriate people
- You also have an option to give control of your timer to an administrator or a viewer so that they can control the timer as needed
If you are new to the Pomodoro technique or just appreciate simplicity, FocusList is the application for you. FocusList is available on Mac and iOS devices and allows you to create a list of what needs to get done with estimates of how long each task will take.
The application also offers comprehensive Pomodoro timer features and makes planning each day a breeze. All you have to do is add things to your to-do list, estimate how long each task will take, and hit the “start working” button. The app takes care of the rest by kicking off the Pomodoro and breaks.
Although you cannot set up FocusList for multiple days, the app is great if you are looking for a simple and easy-to-use app. The app is still pretty flexible as it is easy to edit your list of tasks and Pomodoro lengths.
- Create tasks
- Track time
- Get data on progress
With Pomotodo you get a to-do list app and a Pomodoro timer in one. And whether you choose to use the app as a solution for the two productivity techniques or simply choose to use it as a timer or to-do list is entirely up to you.
Pomotodo is simple to use and all you have to do is create your tasks or to-do list items for each day, prioritize them or add tags to categorize them. Once you have set out the tasks that need to get done you switch on the Pomodoro timer which monitors your work sessions and breaks for you.
- To-do list
- Extensive stat tracking
- Ability to sync with Google Calendar
- Customized timer durations
12. Be Focused
Be Focused is an app included in the suite of apps offered by SetApp, but you can also use it as a standalone app. The application is an all-in-one solution with multiple functionalities, including task management, tracking, and customization options.
It helps eliminate distractions and narrows your focus with robust planning and tracking features. Along with task management features, you can also use the timer to set different periods of intense focus and rest, as is in the Pomodoro technique.
Be Focused is an intuitive and customizable app that allows you to schedule your workflow and time it the way you want. It does so while ensuring that your productivity levels are increasing.
If you are looking for a tool with which you can zero in on tasks and achieve your goals in time or ahead of time, then Be Focused is the app for you.
The only downside to the app, however, is that it is currently unavailable on Android devices. Nevertheless, if you are working with iOS, Be Focused is a perfect choice.
- Effortlessly create, organize, and manage to-do lists with Be Focused’s transparent and efficient task manager
- Set the number of breaks and duration of breaks
- Allows you to start, pause and skip breaks
- Break long-term goals into short-term goals, i.e., monthly, weekly, and daily goals, to streamline your workflow
- Customize the app’s features according to your needs
- Sync data across all iOS devices
- Generate and export CSV files in seconds
Mobile phones are the most significant distractions of all. The visually pleasing social media apps, like Instagram and Facebook, are the biggest menace to focused work.
The iOS and Android apps make time management a visually appealing and compelling game. All you have to do is plant seeds and see them grow into trees while you stay focused on your task. The trees die if you are unable to complete your daily tasks. Forest is an app that turns the tide for you in this respect.
As you finish your daily tasks over weeks and days, the trees form a forest. The gamification of time management makes the experience much more fun and entertaining.
The virtual coins users earn by planting a forest go towards planting real trees on our planet. So far, 1,426,662 trees have been planted by Forest.
Forest app is an interactive solution to your time management issues. You are essentially playing a game by working, and if you win, if you stay focused and work non-stop for a while.
- Compete with your colleagues and friends to see who the most productive individual of all is.
- See the trends in your work with Forest’s tracking feature
- iOS and Android app
- motivates teams and individuals to stay focused
- Interactive interface
- Create custom tags to track time distribution across different tasks
If you do not want to get into any complexities and are only looking for a simple and intuitive solution, then Pomodor is for you. The web application has a fairly clean and simple interface.
As soon as you enter the app, you can start the timer and start working on your task immediately. It offers 4 sessions of Pomodoro, 25 minutes of focus time followed by 5 minutes of break. But you can customize all these settings according to your liking.
Add a label and give it a color of your choice to distinguish one task from another. You can also check your status after you have completed a few sessions.
- Customize settings such as work duration, short break duration, long break duration, and number of rounds
- Choose the notification sound of your choice
- No installation required
- Pomodor is available for free
- Available in dark and light mode
- Check stats to analyze your productivity
Minimalist is another Pomodoro app for those who prefer a sleek and clean-looking interface. With a black-and-white interface, Minimalist makes it easy for users to navigate through the tool without much hassle.
Users can easily add tasks by swiping down, assign task statuses and deadlines to each task. Tasks with a high-priority status are displayed at the top of the screen so that users can work on them and complete them as soon as possible.
- Alternate between focused work sessions and short breaks
- split your work into sessions of focus
- take a longer break after a few work sessions
- Detailed statistics of your progress
- Customizable notifications
- Use labels to organize your work
Looking for the best Pomodoro app for android?
If you are specifically looking for a Pomodoro app for android then here are your options:
- Focus To-Do: This app combines the Pomodoro technique with a task manager, allowing you to set up a schedule for your work and breaks and track your progress.
- Forest: Forest gamifies the Pomodoro technique, allowing you to “plant a tree” when you start working and watch it grow as you stay focused. If you break your focus, your tree will die.
- TickTick: A feature-rich app that can be used as a to-do list and a Pomodoro timer. It also has a calendar and reminder feature.
- Toggl: A simple and easy-to-use app that allows you to start, stop and track your timer, and also has a built-in task manager and a calendar.
It’s important to try a few different options to find the one that works best for you.
All of these tools are among the best Pomodoro timer apps and are highly popular for their efficiency.
How to Adopt the Pomodoro Technique?
As a professional, you will eventually realize that you have been following the Pomodoro technique formula throughout the majority of your work life. We set up tasks, a lot of timers and try to complete them in an orderly fashion. Isn’t this something that the Pomodoro technique has been all about?
The best thing about any Pomodoro timer app is that it inflicts the aforementioned realization factor through proper design. It is not too late to reorganize your professional rituals with the help of a handy application or a software tool for that matter.
This technique is all about sticking to a format. To better zone in one project at hand, the internet community is lined up with tons of Pomodoro technique apps that are worth trying. We have a list of highly recommended applications for this very purpose. Take your pick and try it; if you don’t like the result, you can switch over to a better alternative until you are comfortable with the routine.
Pomodoro Technique for First-Timers
If you are adopting the Pomodoro Technique for the first time ever, the routine might not gel with your current workflow. After some time, you will notice a kick in the productivity scale. Eventually, these benefits change as the need for following this technique is thoroughly dependent on the person and the nature of project management.
The main benefits of the Pomodoro Technique are, but are not limited to:
- You will have the ability to stay fresh and focused through longer intervals of the day.
- Enhanced time management skills.
- Improved work quality.
- Your speed of doing things will increase exponentially.
- Longer attention spans.
- Minimum exhaustion due to regular break intervals.
Initially, working in small increments will feel unnatural. You will probably not be able to complete your objective within the first 25 minutes. Gradually, as time passes by, the routine will come as naturally and you will end up liking it more.
How do I find the best Pomodoro timer for myself?
Some things to consider when looking for a Pomodoro timer include the user interface, the ability to customize settings, and whether it has additional features such as task tracking or reminders.
Additionally, you can read user reviews and ratings to see how other people have found a particular timer to work for them.
Where can I find the best Pomodoro app?
However, you can take a look at the following to narrow down your options:
4. Be Focused
5. Focused To Do
If you are already using the Pomodoro app, share your thoughts in the comments section below. Alternatively, you can also send us an email.
Some Other Useful Reads on the nTask Blog
- Getting Things Done (GTD) Method and 14 Best GTD Apps & Tools
- Top 19 Time Tracking Software to Improve Team Productivity
- 27 Best Task Management Software for Startups in 2024
- 36 Best Free Productivity Apps of 2024
- 30 Best To-do List Apps of 2024 for Personal Task Management
- 22 Best Free Project Management Tools for Agile Teams in 2024
- Best 13 Timekeeper Apps In 2024