January 11, 2020
16 Best Software For Task Management (Free and Paid)
What do you do when you have a project at hand? Stress out about how to get it done; Make a few dandy to-do lists on a paper about the tasks to be carried out? Then stress out some more?
Oh, and it gets worse when the assignment at hand is complex – and that too, with intricate details that need constant attention. In most instances, the stakes are high and any errors can cause you substantial loss. These losses can lead to eventual setbacks that can send you off the expected trajectory of your project. A lot of times, that would otherwise be used productively, but getting back to track over and over again kind of drains the spirit.
What is Task Management and Why You Need it?
When you head out on the journey of planning and executing a project, one of the first things you would consider is dividing up the project into smaller and rather do-able tasks. These tasks can make you even more efficient especially in case of cumbersome projects that otherwise tend to tangle up your brain.
This, of course, generates a need to learn and execute the management of your tasks from its initiation to completion. And this whole process is called task management.
So, you could be running a complex project with raised stakes; you could be running a project with multiple clients that equally need due attention. Or it is possible that you are in the habit of “micromanaging” everything.
We know that the word has a negative implication to it. However, ironically, it could be a good thing as well. Micromanaging can come in handy, and help you to stay on top of everything if you use task management the right way.
We now have at our disposal, task managing software that can assist task managers of businesses ranging in all sizes, to get to these work done more collaboratively and productively.
Here are our recommendations for the Best Software For Task Management to use to scan them in a jiffy and breeze through them effortlessly.
Table of Contents
nTask eliminates the frustration that is created by complex tools. It is a straightforward software with easy to use a format that improves the learning curve of users belonging to any type of team and industry. With, it’s impressive UI and task management features it makes managing complex task for the teams easier.
It is rated as the best task management software in our list used by smart teams because it is equipped with native modules with comprehensive coverage to your project scope needs. There is nothing that you cannot do with nTask with its built-in elaborate feature sets.
You can create tasks, make to-do (checklist) items, assign tasks to the team, manage priority, repeat tasks, get notifications, use task timer, set actual/planned start and end dates, real-time team collaboration and many more.
- Create a repeat task on a daily, weekly, monthly basis
- Add files, images, and comments to each task for effective communication
- Export task details to external sources via a public link or email
- Use the color palette to color-code your tasks
- Visually appealing views of tasks in the form of List, Grid, and Calendar. Assort and manage how you view tasks using a set of filters
- Create and link multiple tasks to projects in one click
- Create checklists and give descriptions to tasks
- Give your tasks individual status, priority and a due date
- Manually log hours that automatically update in corresponding timesheets
- View task percentage progress via self-generating progress meter
- Self-generating Gantt Charts to help you give a roadmap view of your task timelines
- View task history in Activity Log
- Assign tasks to multiple assignees for dividing the workflow
- Conduct and manage minutes of meetings with defined agendas, discussion points, and follow-up actions
- You can integrate nTask with Slack and use Zapier to integrate with 100 other apps. Other in-app integrations are coming soon!
- Free Plan – unlimited workspaces and tasks, 100 MB of storage.
- Pro Plan – starts at $1/month, Unlimited projects and Gantt charts.
One of the widely used task management software used is Trello. And, what a fun little name! You may hear Task Managers at company giants like Google, National Geographic and Fender use this name as well; they utilize this software too. But companies of various shapes and sizes use Trello every day for all sorts of work/tasks.
Trello is, at its core, is a list-making software. It operates with the renowned and easy-to-use Kanban style and Butler. Imagine the board on Trello as a vast pin-board in your office; you can still your lists on it. Visualize the concept in your head to see things panning out easily.
The lists you create at Trello are a clean and efficient way of representing your workflow going from left to right of the board. Each of these lists then contains cards that represent the individual tasks you work on. These cards have the team members mentioned on them that will be carrying out that specific activity.
- Add tasks using a feature of easily editable and descriptive cards
- Add subtasks, edit the title and add descriptions
- Add members to the task
- Get instant notifications
- View the due dates and put visual labels
- Comment on the tasks to communicate with the team
- Move cards across the lists and boards as the work progresses.
- Activity feed
- Archive of the cards upon completion
- You can directly integrate the software and apps you are already working on like Google Drive, Dropbox, Jira, InVision, Calendars, Maps.
- The best thing about Trello: you can use it for free for an unlimited time. You can upgrade it to business class for $9.99 per user per month or Enterprise for $20.83 per user per month.
Use Infinity to help your team thrive! That is what Infinity claims along with the promise of being able to handle complex projects more efficiently.
Infinity is a great task management software that aims to organize almost every kind of project for you. Be it businesses (especially for small and intermediate-sized businesses), personal organization, multiple projects or any other collaborative work.
Infinity supports creating specific workflows that increase adaptability and are according to your as well as your clients’ preferences. It, also, lets you customize your workflow to enhance your productivity too with an in-depth structure.
- Social Media Calendar
- Project Tracker
- Event Planning
- Marketing Campaign
- Habit Tracker
- Finances Tracker
- Marketing Agency Client
- Business Roadmap
… And about a bazillion more! With an elaborate list like this, it is quite evident that they have a lot to offer to make a task manager’s work rich.
- You can integrate Zapier, Trello, Clockify, CSV, Google Drive, Google Calendar, Gmail, Toggl, etc., into Infinity. They have more possible integration lined up for the future as well.
- Infinity provides for a free trial, with a standard plan of $9 per user per month, a pro Plan of $18 per user per month.
Asana is an exceptional task management software used by task managers to fortify, collaborate, grow and organize your business and team. Use this software to remove any tedious tasks you would otherwise be simply wasting your time on. Company teams like Airbnb, The New York Times, Red Bull use this cool software as well.
Asana used a task-oriented approach to offer a gainful workflow. It has an easy-to-use and flexible interface that allows for working with different assortments of teams. You can follow your work at almost every stage, even if your plans are altering. It assists you in coordinating all your teams and assigning work effortlessly.
- Task assignment
- Workflow management
- Timeline and portfolio
- Building Agile and Scrum teams and tracking the progress
- Admin control panel for task managers
- Calendar-based work
- Kanban boards
- Deliberately manage your time efficiently
- Plan and track your campaigns
- Timeline review with Gantt charts
- Use the PRINCE2 methodology for your projects
- You can integrate Adobe Creative Cloud, Outlook, Litmus, Slack, Microsoft Teams, Google Calendar, and Dropbox to your Asana account.
- Asana offers a free trial for up to 15 users. A premium plan is for $10.99 per user per month, whereas, a business plan is for $24.99.
With companies like Google, Airbnb, Uber, Netflix, and Nike; ClickUp is one of the effective tools to run your task management. Use your previously used task list to re-use and build on for future projects. Does it irk you if you have to keep re-formulating a task for a team? Clickup can make your life easier by featuring a recurring task tool.
So, this is remarkable software to use if you wish to use other software alternatives like Asana, Airtable, and Monday (that is what Clickup claims)
- Create simple to complex tasks
- Recurring tasks
- To-do lists
- Build customizable projects
- Write up and create documents and easily share them as well
- Calendar, Timeline, Gantt and File view
- Conversations, channels, and threads
- Set goals and track them over time
- Create lists to keep everything organized
- Board and box view for easy viewing
- Customizable spaces, spaces, and colors
- You can easily import your work from other places like Trello, Todoist, Airtable. They offer 1000+ integrations like chrome, Toggl, Google Drive, Zapier, Github, Goggle Calendar, Amazon Alexa, and Slack.
- To get started on ClickUp you can use it for free. Its prices start from $5.00 per month per user and $9 per user per month for a Business account.
Not unlike other to-do list apps this task management software is a breeze to use as well. It helps you to keep everything well organized and de-clutter your mind. This way you can have more mental capacity to apply for your projects and propagate.
Use Todoist to remove the stress of the bothersome and overwhelming tasks and to point your energy in the direction of the things that would get you to the next and better place.
- An easy overview of everything
- Quick add and view for tasks
- Recurring tasks and their dates
- Favorites and priorities
- Sections and subtasks
- Task assignment
- Notifications, comments
- Todoist Karma—to let you keep awards and points for you completed and maintained tasks
- Tracking of productivity
- Templates to get you started
- They have 10+ apps that you can integrate into the work you are doing on Todoist for your ease.
- For a price of $29 per year or $3 per user per month, you can use all the cool features of Todoist.
Airtable is a powerful tool that keeps the use of a spreadsheet for work somewhat alive. You can use it to organize, filter, collaborate and group your work with a great combination of high yielding tools and how-to guides along with them. It partially acts as a database as well.
This software especially focuses on the potential your team has and digging into it. You can let your team be as creative as they can be.
- Task organization
- Syncing across multiple devices
- Field types for the content
- Customizable views for arranging and grouping your work
- Grid, calendar, gallery and Kanban view
- Linkage among related content; smart relationships
- Project tracker, product planning
- Marketing campaign tracking
- You can join in your work from Slack, LinkedIn, Instagram, Gmail, Facebook, Twitter or you can access your content using their API.
- You can use the basic feature of this software for free. For a Plus and a Pro plan, you have to pay $10 per user per month and $20 per user per month respectively.
Another tool to make your life easier and organized: Taskworld. They combine powerful features and smooth design to give you the best out of their experience. They assist you in completing your task on time and achieves the results you desire.
The outlook of Taskworld resembles that of Trello with a few additional features.
Taskworld is a lot more visual when it comes to tracking the progress of your work and your teams. This is a cool way to share your ideas and estimate your performance.
Task managers at companies like Samsung and Volkswagen trust their work with Taskworld too.
- Project management with visual boards
- Performance reports
- Task lists
- Task points
- Multiple assignees
- Project tracking and timeline
- Task assignments delivered by email
- Activity log
- Recurring tasks
- Direct team messaging
- You can easily integrate Google Drive, Dropbox, Box, Google Calendar, Microsoft Outlook, and other external recourses.
- For a professional account, which has only one workspace Taskworld charges a $10.99 per user per month. For an enterprise, they charge $21.99 per user per month.
A powerful application that can make you flow through your tasks. If you are familiar with Trello, GetFlow also uses Kanban design, allowing you to create cards that you can add tasks to. Swiftly shift these cards to where you want them to be.
Easily assign tasks and get notified of their due dates. You can track and balance all of the team’s workload and visualize it in one place.
- Organize, view, and prioritize your tasks
- Know when to start your task
- An advanced approach to subtasks with additional features
- Search and filter names, due dates, and tags
- View separately public and private tasks
- Customize your task view
- Easily assign or delegate work
- Notes, comments, file attachments
- Recurring tasks
- This software offers loads of integrations with Dropbox, Google Drive, Slack, Harvest. Their API lets you automate and edit to integrate your tools as well.
- For a starter plan with the basic features: $5.95 per user per month. For a Pro package: $11.95.
It is one of the wide-ranging task management tools to be used. Businesses and companies alike use this for task tracking, project tracking and staying ahead of all the collaborations.
Zoho divides your tasks into further subtasks to make it more achievable and manageable. It saves you precious time with its powerful automation.
- Classic, Plain, and Kanban view
- Project planning
- Gantt Charts
- Feeds and activity streams for networking and coordination
- Billing hours and invoicing
- Faster collaboration with message boards and chat rooms
- Integrate Dropbox, Google, CSV, Zoom, Slack, Trello, LinkedIn and Zapier into Zoho along with many other applications.
- Free access, $25 per user per month, $50 per user per month, $80 per user per month is what Zoho is offering.
Any.do stands for a simple to-do list with an integrated Calendar and to help you stay organized. Set up reminders, lists, and tasks with the simple and minimalistic award-winning layout.
Any.do can serve you a great tool to manage your time effectively and spend an industrious day! Any.do is more of a personal use software that you can carry around with you anywhere – in your phone, laptop or Desktop.
- To-do list
- Grocery List
- Daily Planner
- Custom recurring tasks
- Colored tasks
- Unlimited attachments
- Google Assistant, Amazon Alexa, Slack, Google Chrome and Siri.
- Any.do offers free services. However, for a premium account, it charges only $5.99 per month.
12. I Done This
It is a powerful tool to make yourself and your team so much more productive. This software is based on a study at Harvard that concluded that taking smaller steps can lead to better performance (we sort of already knew that, didn’t we?).
So that is why we are going to use this software as well—to increase our percentage of goals completion. Enter your goals as the things that need to be done, edit in the tasks you’ve accomplished as done and even add blocked to indicate which task was not done and why.
- Tasks dashboard
- Focus on smaller steps
- Goals – tasks that are to be completed
- Done – tasks that have been accomplished
- Blocked – what can’t be done and why
- Daily status update
- $9 per user per month $22 per user per month, and $35 per user per month.
It is a cool platform for advanced and modern teams with clients that range in creative, marketing and IT company and many others. It allows for easy management, discussions, tasks assignment and collaborations.
With their smart and intuitive task management solution, they create a flexible system that increases accountability. By clearly assigned defined task the rate of completion gets higher and you can easily stay on top of your work.
- Collaboration tools
- Recurring task management
- Taskboard view and transparency
- Gantt view, Timeline view, To-do list view
- Kanban boards
- Productivity Reports
- View of team history to glean from
- Use box. Google Drive, Evernote, Dropbox, Zapier and outlook with Redbooth.
- Redbooth’s pricing starts at $9.00 per user, per month.
You can work on Glip on the cloud for collaborations and task management. Employees are more likely to stick with a team if there is proper communication. Team collaboration can be made easy with Glip — a success indicator—that Glip focuses on.
- Creating and managing tasks
- Create tasks directly from the chat
- Calendar view, list view,
- Real-time texting, calling and video conference calls
- Fast sharing of files
- Screen sharing
- Manage team calendar
- Avail unlimited integrations: Airbrake, box, Asana. AppSignal, Github, DoneDone, Google Drive, Harvest, Jira, Trello, Zapier, Zoho and many more.
- Free and a standard plan of $5 per user per month.
Basecamp serves as an organizer to keep all of your work in one place rather than going crazy for having it in every other place. So to make your life easier and don’t be irked: consider using Basecamp. Utilize its task management features to get done what is needed and be more efficient.
- To-to lists
- Schedule with a calendar
- Share your documents and files
- Group chat
- Recurring tasks
- My stuff- for your individual work
- Hill charts to help you access your progress
- Basecamp offers a free pricing plan with limited features. It also has a $99 per month flat for business accounts. They do not charge per user.
Quire urges you to unfold your ideas with a moose chilling on a cloud. We think the people at Google, Asus, IBM, and Stanford must be doing the same with Quire.
Quire uses Kanban and the feature of nesting helps you focus and prioritize the tasks that need your attention foremost. This task management software lets you create the task you are about to embark on and then break it down even further! That’s a little more relief in this crazy world.
It helps you to tackle your daunting challenges by starting small. Take it step-by-step through various critical phases!
- Kanban boards
- View my Task at a glance across all projects
- Stay organized with smart folders
- Assignee role and permissions
- Safely assign tasks to third parties
- Focused subtasks
- Multiple assignees
- A visual overview of your project
- Filter tasks
- Recurring tasks
- Sync to Siri, Google Calendar, Slack, Google Drive, CSV or you can use Quire API to integrate your favorite applications.
- Quire is still figuring out their detailed price packages. For now, they let you use Quire for free (for up to 80 projects).
Final Word on Which Software to Use
There exist more software to be explored for managing your tasks; tools that can assist you to be an efficient, productive and better task manager. We attempted to give a detailed list here. However, the software that you take for your picking depends heavily on your preferences.
Check up the reviews, carefully scan the features, balance the pros and cons, and consider the price plans along with the projects you will be working on before starting on a task management tool.
Chances are you hit a few snags before finding the right for your work. But, the heaps of similar software out there can make this is a fun and easy endeavor. So dig in! Enjoy exploring your own potentials and creativity by using a task managing tool to make your life a bit more stress-free.
Experience team collaboration like never before
Manage your team, tasks, projects and more on a single platform. Sign up today, it's free.