Published on May 18, 2020
Read time 9 minutes
15 Best Citrix Alternatives for Project Managers
Citrix alternatives provide a variety of functions that can help project managers and freelancers alike. As a result, the work is not only done at a robust rate but also flourishes more favorable results.
Just in case you tried your luck with Citrix and didn’t like the overall user experience for any reason, we have compiled a list of Citrix alternatives. These alternatives are for mobile and desktop users alike. So, take your pick and let us know what you think.
Parallels Remote Application Server (RAS) product portfolio is a very unique app that serves the purpose accurately. This app provides computing in a way that fully satisfies the needs of customers, clients, businesses, and service providers once for all.
Common categories with Citrix Virtual Apps and Desktops:
- Remote Desktop
- Virtual Desktop Infrastructure (VDI)
- Easy and simple to install.
- It offers a wide sense of interactivity.
- When somebody is not connected to the online system, he can have remote access.
- At the early stages of use, it seems a little perplexed in it’s functioning but when you go through the application for a while, it begins to get more comfortable.
- Parallels Desktop – $78.99/year
- Business Edition – $99.99/year
- Pro Edition – $99.99/year
Amazon workspaces is another fine addition to this list in terms of being a Citrix alternatives. It allows the apparent permission of cloud-based virtual desktops users to have access to their documents, history, Chromebooks, resources, and system support without any hesitation.
Also, users have access to their important data through operating systems, such as Windows, Mac Computers, and various portable devices. Of course, Amazon workspaces Fire Tablets, and Android tablets.
- Convenient for its users due to broad-spectrum applications.
- Interactive and user friendly.
- Security features bundled with flawless connectivity are a big plus.
- There are no cons as such. The only apparent setback is that this application doesn’t allow you to transfer data from one machine to another virtual machine.
- 80 GB starting from #7.25/month
- 175 GB starting from $19/month
Check this out:
VirtualBox is very beneficial to remote users who are either hired off-site, or they are unable to work at the office on a regular basis. The application’s rating soared up during the recent COVID-19 pandemic issue. Overall, we feel that this one is a nice addition to our list of Citrix alternatives for desktop and mobile users.
On a side note, VirtualBox is an open-source x86 and AMD64/Intel64 VDI solution for enterprises. This is especially useful if you are looking to work in a remote area.
- It is a very handy and useful simulation software.
- Considered to be the best when it comes to free virtualization of operating systems.
- Continuously updated to offer an error-free user experience to veteran project managers.
- The program may choke up a few glitches and performance hits when you are looking to use MaxOSC via a virtual OS setup. We wouldn’t recommend using VirtualBox as a Citrix virtual apps and desktop alternative if you are strictly going to be working on a virtual Mac OSX environment.
- Perpetual Socket – $1000 per socket & $220 for software update license and technical support.
This app is another handy alternative for those who wish to get by with a mix of remote and on-site work. Workstation Pro is specifically designed for technical developers and it also has the features of testing and debugging.
Besides, some other features are deployed and execution of the software is made easy by running more than one *86-based operating systems at the same time on the same computer.
- It is a great tool to add, edit, run, share, and mount virtual machines.
- You can easily make desired changes and installation of operating systems such as Linux and windows.
- Compared to other applications, Workstation Pro is a bit expensive and not at all cost-effective. It causes some problems and difficulties whenever you intend to export virtual machines. At the same time, this program is not ideal for new users. They might experience a steep learning curve.
- Workstation Pro is priced at $249.99.
5. VNC Connect
No matter which part of the world you are in, VNC connect offers you remote access and control over your devices. It has a wide range of user base. Common users of VNC might be your average project managers, whereas enterprise-level users can range from different multinational corporations altogether.
- It is very easy and reliable, you can connect numerous home computers and work computers even if they have different operating systems.
- System support is remarkable and it feels like you’re working in an office.
- Fast connectivity.
- The biggest con of VNC Connect is that it doesn’t support audio between the two computers.
- Free version available
- Pro version is priced at $40 per year/ user
6. Horizon 7
The next one on the list of Citrix alternatives is Horizon 7. If you haven’t heard about it, that’s alright. Horizon 7 is a very expensive pro and enterprise-level solution for companies. They make up for the heavy price tag by offering a complete suite that has many unique and splendid features.
It is a virtual based desktop software that safely delivers applications to the users on the system or a device of their choice. It is cost-effective and it transfers data very securely.
- It can install every kind of desktop OS (operating system).
- No limitations for the company whatsoever in terms of hosting extensive program development.
- Since its new in the market, we don’t have many details on Horizon’s setbacks. Overall, the user experience has been reportedly good.
- Horizon 7 is priced at $3120
Teamviewer is very easy to use as it provides great support and access through remote connection setup. You can view your connection’s monitor, cell screen, and desired area of the screen. The program supports screen control function too for people who want to perform a task on the main PC from a remote location.
- The program works tremendously fine as far as user experience is concerned.
- Teamviewer has a wide range of flexibility across different platforms that make work quite convenient and time-efficient.
- Teamviewer is highly dependent on the availability of a strong internet connection. If the connection is strong, the application works fine. Slow connection poses a hindrance on a constant basis.
- TeamViewer’s starting price is $49/month (or $588 per year)
Anydesk is a fast and robust software that comes with swift remote access. AnyDesk is a very nice alternative to Teamviewer in terms of installation file size, overall performance, and connectivity. Compared to Teamviewer, AnyDesk’s performance doesn’t drop that much over a slow internet connection.
- The file size is comparatively very small.
- Uses minimum OS resources, and doesn’t hit the RAM that much.
- AnyDesk devs can add more security features to the program.
- $10.99 per month; a free version and free trials are also available.
Connectwsie manages and administrates cloud-based universal remote access software by providing unique and feasible solutions to remote access, system support, and remote meetings’ users.
- Getting connected is extremely easy.
- Robust customer support offers insight on ConnectiWise Control issues
- As a handy Citrix virtual apps alternative, ConnectWise Control does not have any major flaws or whatsoever.
- $23.70 per month per user; free trial also available.
It provides virtualization solutions for running programs within a Windows or Mac OSX environment. Fusion may not be a flawless solution for program developers and project managers, but it does seem to hold its ground pretty well.
- Easy drag and drop documents functionality.
- Problems come with power and processing. Large programs can not run as easily as their small-sized counterparts.
- $21.00 per month/per user.
Have a look at the best calendar app:
11. Zoho Assist
No prerequisites are required for the installation of Zoho Assist. It is one of many applications that the company has developed under the name: ‘Zoho.’ As far as this app is concerned, it is designed specially in a way that it can be run on any browser. It is made for local franchises and mediocre businesses that don’t have extensive requirements and too much to spend.
IT system support and small IT companies comprising of technicians can benefit the most from Zoho Assist.
- Just like most of the remotely supported applications, Zoho Assist connects your system support expert’s computer to your client’s computer through a tool that can share screen.
- It allows easy interactive tools that can help to supervise work, deliver support, and administer at the same time.
- There are limitations when it comes to simultaneous connections. It can cause a bit of trouble. Also, a 2GB file-limit can cause a problem for a certain number of users.
- Price ranges from $10 per person to $150. It depends on the usage level.
Microsoft Hyper-V Server is a renowned competitor in the market. As a feasible Citrix virtual app alternative, it is a stand-alone product that provides a simplified, user-friendly, and cost-effective optimized virtualized solution.
- Modeled around a unique setup which helps to offer more intuitive control over a long range of virtual applications.
- Institutional virtualization is now made possible in the physical environment with the help of this virtual app.
- There is no such difficulty when it comes to operating Hyper-V, only access grant through VPN is a little worry.
- Hyper-V ranges from $3607 To $4,246
13. Rescue Assist
Recently known as GoToAssist, RescueAssist provides business-leading widespread remote channel support. It also offers ITIL-based service desk administration and system support to upgrade IT business operations, which is very cheap and cost-effective.
Key new unique features include lightning-fast connection time, splendid and sublime support including chat, remote view, and quick file transfer, in-channel administrative collaboration (integrations and amalgamation with apps like Slack), and mobile device support + sharing of camera.
- It is userfriendly, very convenient, and has a sublime GUI
- Unattended support has made work a lot easier
- Administrators can access employees’ systems to make changes
- Slow in processing
- Price ranges from $54 to $99 per user/per month.
BeyondTrust remote support is considered to be the number one enterprise that is as safe and secure as a bank. It is leading and the world’s best system there is to offer. This was one of the reasons as to why the program made it to the Citrix virtual app alternatives.
- It has a splendid GUI; one interface can connect to all computers.
- It asks too many questions when you are looking to grant any permission and make changes.
- BeyondTrust Remote Support is a bit expensive as it costs $1,996
Splashtop business access is very beneficial in many ways. It is very convenient and easy to use. At its core, the program works as a remote desktop that ensures that your work is going smoothly alongside all the collaboration aspect between teams and customers.
The program is overall easy to use and makes it a go-to choice for users all over the world.
- The connections are high resolution and very fast and efficient in performance
- Full features available in the toolbar are very helpful and eye-capturing
- Although there is nothing to dislike about the Splash Business Access application, sometimes the wake-up option doesn’t work in the desktop apps.
- $40 per month and $480 per annum for up to 25 computers
Although we made an effort to suggest a state-of-the-art program as Citrix virtual app alternatives, there might be a software that isn’t mentioned here. Of course, there are many! On that note, if you have a favorite software that isn’t on our list, feel free to talk about it through the comments section below. Alternatively, you can write to us with your suggestions at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Ready to up your game with nTask?
Manage your team, tasks, projects and more on a single platform. Sign up today, it's free.